We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

NH
Level Contributor
477 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

Spending three nights at the Green Mountain Suites in S. Burlington. We arrive on 6/30 and leave on 7/3. It will be my inlaws (both late 60s), my two boys (4 and 5), and my husband and I. Inlaws are NOT outdoors people. They are more interested in museums, dining, etc. And she can't swim and will NOT do anything involving water. My boys are very active and love to hike, run around, have fun. I'm trying to find a balance of things to do together and then some time apart so everyone is happy.

Day 1: Drive from southern NH on I89. We will drive straight to Barre with the boys to visit Rock of Ages. Inlaws will either stop in Quechee for a bit or check out downtown Montpelier...maybe visit the state house. Then we will meet for lunch. I'm thinking La Brioche. I like to support the NECI students. NECI on Main is closed that day. After lunch we will drive to Burlington, check into the hotel, and then walk around downtown.

Day 2: Visit Ben and Jerrys, then Cold Hollow. Lunch at Green Goddess in Stowe. We will take the boys hiking at Moss Glen and then Bingham (unless you can suggest something else) while the inlaws walk around Stowe.

Day 3: Shelburne Farm for the boys, Shelburne Museum for the inlaws. Lunch at Rustic Roots. Perhaps a visit to the VT Teddy Bear Company....more of an interest for my mother in law as my boys are not stuffed animal fans. Head back to Burlington. Maybe spend afternoon at ECHO.

Day 4: We head home via I89...stopping at Cabot in Quechee for cheese and we will check out the gorge. I know there is more to do in the area, but we can easily do a day trip to Quechee and WRJ. Inlaws will head south thru Albany to go home.

Lunch ideas okay? Any better hiking trails...want to stay under 4 miles round trip?? Missing anything?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,371 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

That's a top-5 tourist destination list indeed. Personally, I'd omit B&Js and Teddybear, since they're super touristy and basically.... factory gift shops. The BTV rec path is great for biking, which the kids might enjoy. There are several places to rent.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
440 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

Just want to make sure you know that Burlington has fireworks on July 3rd, rather than 4th, in case you want to shift your trip by a day in order to see them.

NH
Level Contributor
477 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

Chris and Liz....I have no interest in the teddy bear company, but I'm trying to include some things for my mother in law. The inlaws could always go on their own while we are at Shelburne farm. I want to keep Ben an and Jerry's for the kids. I've been before and agree its just a tourist trap. As for bikes, I was looking into that. Do you know off hand if you can get training wheels? Guess I can always call and ask. I thought the rental place right on the path looked safest for kids....no roads to bike down first.

Nyyva....I have to work a night shift on the 3rd so we have to head out that morning. :(

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

Based on what you wrote, all of you would enjoy BOTH Shelburne Farms and Shelburne Museum. My 4 year old has been to both many, many times and thoroughly enjoys it all. Your in-laws will probably prefer the Museum over the Farm, but the Farm does have museum-like stuff at the barn where you can learn about their cheesemaking operations and about their farming practices, and it is a beautiful piece of property. There are options for lunch, too. Take some time on the website. www.shelburnefarms.org/

Kids also love the Shelburne Museum as there are big open spaces to run around, the Ticonderoga is a huge old paddlewheeler on land which you can tour throughout, and they do have an indoor kids area with tons of kids activities to do. My son has always loved the circus exhibit as well, and they have a free merry go round for the kids too. If you're going to pick one for everyone to do, probably the Museum is your best bet, although missing out on the animals at the Farm would be too bad for the kiddos.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

Local Motion on the rec path would be your best bet, and they have trailers and tag-alongs for the kids as well. My 4 year old would do perfect on a tag-along for a longer ride, although he can ride his own bike for shorter distances. localmotion.org/programs/trailside/rentals

Edited: 01 May 2014, 15:49
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
440 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

I agree that Shelburne Museum is fun for kids, especially if the weather's nice so they can run around. A lot of the displays are boring but there is so much to do that you can skip those and see the highlights that Adam pointed out. You can get a brochure with a map that shows where each exhibit is. They also have some shuttle vehicles that drive around for anyone who gets tired from walking. The gift shop has some old-timey kids things if you're looking for souvenirs.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 00:02
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,371 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

Another vote for Shelburne Museum. They have an excellent web site if you'd like to see what they offer.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

Sounds like you are very good planner and that everyone will have a great time. Two more stops to consider along the way to/from NH: Montshire Museum and King Arthur Flour. Enjoy!

NH
Level Contributor
477 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

NBPINVT...I just made those changes. We will stop at Montshire and King Arthur on the way to Burlington.....a good half way point to have some fun. Then we will do Rock of Ages on our way home, since my inlaws have no interest and won't be with us at that point.

Mother in law wants to add Green Mt. Coffee to our second day. I know there isn't much there, but it'll be a quick stop and is on the way. I also noticed there is a Lake Champlain Chocolate store near Ben and Jerry's and Cold Hollow. So we can add a quick stop there too.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,371 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burlington area stay. Please review itinerary.

And the Cabot Cheese showroom is a great stop as well... right next to Lake Champlain Chocolates. so you get 2 stops in one location.