We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

austin
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

In late June we will be taking my daughter to camp in Leicester, VT. We will fly into Burlington and rent a car to drive her to camp. Three weeks later we will pick her up. We've never been to that area and want to do a little traveling with her while we're there. We want to spend just a few days (2-3) before camp to explore the area, then take another few days (3-4) after camp pickup to do some more exploring.

Some of the areas we've thought of exploring are Burlington, Stowe, Middlebury, Montreal, Boston. My confusion is: Which of these areas should have priority, and what's the best itinerary of where to go when. Flying into Burlington before camp, it might make the most sense to just explore Burlington, Ben & Jerry's, and Middlebury before depositing her at camp in Leicester. But then once we pick her up, should we go to Boston or to Montreal? We've never been to either. I know Boston is so historical and has much to see. But my daughter is an avid French student, so maybe Montreal would be more appealing.

I'd appreciate any help in deciding between Montreal and Boston, and would welcome any other suggestions on where we might go given our situation. Thank you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

Oy. Tough decision. Both are great cities.

Do you have passports? Or a passport card or enhanced driver's license (if your state offers them)? If not then scratch Montreal off the list.

If passports are not an issue...I would probably choose Montreal over Boston for this trip. It'll be a closer drive back to Burlington for your flight home too. Would give your daughter a chance to practice her french - though if she's learning Parisian french she may notice a difference-pronunciations, words etc. Eat some poutine and some smoked meat. Visit Old Montreal. Check out the boutiques in teh Mont Royal neighborhood. Shop Rue Ste Catherine. Take a hike up Mont Royal for stunning views of the city. La Ronde is fun if you want to hit up an amusement park. The Biodome and Botanical Gardens are amazing and the science museum is fun.

If you do end up choosing Boston you won't go wrong there either - if American History is an interest you could spend days there checking out all the sites.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,114 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Rue Ste.-Catherine
Rue Ste.-Catherine
2,899 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal Botanical Gardens
Montreal Botanical...
6,236 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
519 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

I'd say, since your daughter will be with you and is studying French, go for Montreal since that will be a unique experience for her. You don't know if she'll stick with French later on, and there will probably be more opportunities to easily visit Boston in the future.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

if you do end up on Boston, consider a one way rental and fly out of Boston. Saves a 3 hour drive and gives you that last day to tour.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

I vote for your first few days in VT and the last few in Montreal for all the reasons already stated. They have a nice clean metro system, a fantastic bike share program (bixi), history, culture, great food, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
austin
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

Thank you all! Your feedback is a huge help in making my decision clear -- Montreal it is! Relieved to have confirmation that exploring VT before camp and Montreal after camp makes sense. Sounds like Boston and its environs should be a different trip of its own. We do all have passports, but I will check re the rental car crossing the border. Thanks for offering details of things to do in Montreal:-)

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

Good choice. I'd pick Montreal over Boston in a heartbeat.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

Most definitely Montreal….stay in Old part of the city.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
8. Re: Burlington, VT Trip, But Then Montreal or Boston??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:16