We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July trip to VT and Maine

texas
4 posts
Save Topic
July trip to VT and Maine

I will be in Boston at the end of June and am looking for a driving route to see Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. My wife and I would like to travel for about 7 days and end up back in Boston. I would like someone who is familiar with this area to give me ideas on routes that would include Burlington VT and Bar Harbor. We would like to go on scenic routes but not be rushed. Are there any suggestions of places to see and places to stay along the way? I envision just driving and stopping whenever something looks interesting.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July trip to VT and Maine

Including Burlington and the Maine coast in a week is doable, but it means that you will spend a good deal of time in the car. For that reason, you probably want to take fairly direct routes. Boston to Burlington is simple, I-93 to I-89.

From Burlington, might as well make a stop in the White Mountains of New Hampshire on your way to Maine. I love the small town of Jackson. Drive the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112) or Route 302 into the White Mountains, both are very scenic drives. Don't stay in North Conway--too congested and touristy.

Bar Harbor is way up there on the coast. One of my favorite Maine coast towns is Boothbay Harbor, which saves a little bit of drive time. There are some nice spots south of Portland as well, Wells, York, Ogunquit... nice big sand beaches. Then it's a straight shot back down to Boston.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,566 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July trip to VT and Maine

I-89 is pretty scenic too, for an interstate. You could also stop along the way to see Stowe - about 20 min off I-89.

Camden Maine is another beautiful little town, with postcard views from hiking trails on the small rolling hills just inland from town.

3. Re: July trip to VT and Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:16