We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend trip from Boston?

Somerville...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
weekend trip from Boston?

This is a really broad question and I'm sorry for that! I've done some reading on the board, but haven't really been able to narrow this down.

I'd like to spend 2-3 nights in Vermont in early September. I've been living in Boston for a few years and I've never been to Vermont!

I don't really even know where to start.

My boyfriend and I are in our 30s. We enjoy hiking and spending time outdoors. We also really like good food and craft beer. We'd like to go somewhere less than 3 hours from home, but that's pretty much everywhere in Vermont, I think. Somewhere we can walk to restaurants/bars, but also be a short drive from hiking and other daytime outdoor activities would be ideal.

I definitely don't want to go to a big resort.

Where should we head for a long weekend? Burlington? Brattleboro? Somewhere in the middle of the state?

thank you for any guidance!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend trip from Boston?

You'll see from many past posts that Burlington, Stowe, Manchester & Woodstock are some of the most often recommended places. They're all rather different.... Burlington is best for variety of food, pubs & music by a long shot. It's the top pick for walking to food/drink/in-town activities. Stowe is a nice mountain town, less variety of services and more spread out, but has hiking all around. Woodstock is more compact & is in the middle of the state.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend trip from Boston?

Evening NYC-to-MA,

I'd plump for Woodstock as it is 2.5 hours and an easy drive from Boston and you will get lots of craft brews (18) at the Worthy Kitchen in the village, as well as the slightly larger breweries of LongTrail and Harpoon, bioth a short drive away. You can also walk/hike/cycle right from the village centre in National Parks/Appalachian trail etc. Check out the village website (www.woodstockvt.com)

Enjoy!

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend trip from Boston?

Depending on where you are leaving from a nice stop on the way out would be the Whetstone Station Brewery. Its a nano brew pub right on the CT river in Brattleboro, really nice views, I thought the beer was pretty good and you can sit out over the river and watch life go by for a little bit.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend trip from Boston?

...and I second TheWinterMe's suggestion....great beers and grand location with very good food!

5. Re: weekend trip from Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Vermont