We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which part of Vermont to visit?

Secaucus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which part of Vermont to visit?

We're not sure which part of Vermont to visit! We would like

1. to stay in a nice hotel w/ interior corridors

2. to be near (within 20 min drive) to antiques, antique malls

3. to be near good restaurants, bbq places, steakhouses.....etc.

4. not a desolate area

Any suggestions?

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

Hi jewelgal

In order to help perhaps you can let me know what you are hoping to come to Vt for and when. Is it just you - or a couple or family? Do you want to see beautiful scenery are you looking for mountains, lakes, do you want to hike, fish ,bike, shop go to the theatre. What sort of restaurant "fine dining" or just good plain food? Do you have a budget in mind for your hotel? Let me knoe and I'm sure you'll get a more informative response

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

My first response would be to stay in or near Burlingotn if you are worried about staying in a desolate area - because a vast majority of Vermont is desolate - which is why a lot of people visit here:)

Antique stores are EVERYWHERE here. Most towns have at least one shop if not a few. The 1500 person town I live in has 5 that I can think of off the top of my head.

There is no shortage of good restaurants in Burlington.

Happy Travels,

Ash

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

"Desolate" has such negative connotations though. Many parts of Vermont are rural and may be lacking in shopping and man made recreation - but that doesn't make it desolate. I feel the main beauty of Vermont can be found in the "quiet" rural areas and its people.

But you're right, I guess that Burlington is probably the best bet for hotels with indoor corridors :-)

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

A agree InnVic!

Besides Burlington, you may want to check out Bennington. There is a new Hampton Inn there (interior corridors!) and route 7a from Bennington to Arlington is chock full of antique stores. Nice shops & restaurants as well.

Secaucus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

That's awesome..... Bennington! Thanks!

Also, to answer the other questions, we like places like Lancaster, PA. Love good plain food - mashed potatoes, turkey, veggies, etc., or good bbq ---- definitely like scenery, but also want antique stores and want somewhere to go that is a "small quaint new england town" type of thing.......

:)

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

In addition to the new Hampton Inn, there is also the Paradise Motor Inn in Bennington which has interior corridors, a nice outdoor pool and is walking distance to the Bennington Museum, Old First Church, downtown, and the Bennington Battle Monument. There are antique stores in the area and some decent restaurants in town w/ the kind of food you mention (though not steakhouses or bbq) such as Carmody's, Madison's Brew Pub, Alldays and Onions, among others. If you drive down to North Adams, MA (1/2 hour) there is a good, tiny bbq joint, and in Manchester (1/2 hour) there is the Sirloin Saloon and Laney's for bbq. There is plenty to do in the area, check out bennington.com for more info. or post more questions here.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

Burlington is as much representative of Vermont as Austin is of Texas. Both are fun, but far from good examples of the rest of the state. Try White RIver Junction and expore the Upper Valley. The Holiday Inn Express is nice, and there are several other decent hotels (Hampton Inn, Residence Inns) nearby. Tons of restaurants in Lebanon, Woodstock, etc....

You'll find no decent BBQ aside from Curtis' in Putney (1 hr. S. of WRJ).

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

Burlington is as much representative of Vermont as Austin is of Texas. Both are fun, but far from good examples of the rest of the state. Try White RIver Junction and expore the Upper Valley. The Holiday Inn Express is nice, and there are several other decent hotels (Hampton Inn, Residence Inns) nearby. Tons of restaurants in Lebanon, Woodstock, etc....

You'll find no decent BBQ aside from Curtis' in Putney (1 hr. S. of WRJ).

Secaucus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

Anywhere else that compares to Lancaster, PA?

Country shops, ? touristy area?

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which part of Vermont to visit?

Woodstock and Quechee are very nice also. Woodstock iss a classic small New England town with lots of one of a kind small shops and NO malls! In Quechee you'll find the Quechee Gorge and the Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS) which is really a raptor rehab center. They have 1/2 hour educational shows that are supurb. Twenty miles away is Hanover NH the home of Dartmouth College another stunningly beautiful town.