We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best skiing

florida
Level Contributor
39 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
best skiing

Hi,

Looking into Vermont over X-mas Vacation w/family......usually ski rockies and worried we will be unhappy with mountains.....any suggestions? We like an upscale resort with good apres ski.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best skiing

Upscale resort in Vermont with good snowmaking (in case there isnt much natural at Christmas time)? Stratton, hands down. Very nice place. Not sure how the apres ski scene is there though. www.stratton.com

Stowe would be my second choice. The only downside (if it matters to you) is that there is very little (if any) slopeside lodging. www.stowe.com

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best skiing

Skiied the Rockies for years, and have not been disappointed with Eastern skiing since I moved here. You may not get the grand vistas of Banff of Vail, but out here you can actually breathe on top of the mountain. Don't care for yuppie apres ski activities, but Stowe and Stratton should fit the bill.

Southern Vermont
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best skiing

dunno about apres but I definitly like Killington as a mountain better than Stratton.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best skiing

The mountain at Killigton is fine (and they do have amazing snow-making potential), but at Christmas, I imagine 86,000 people that can't ski crowding the slopes. I suppose most places will be full up that week, but Killington can seem like NYC North.

I also imagine waiting forever to get into bars and restaurants, with crappy service once you get there.

I dislike Colo. at Christmas as well, for the same reasons.

Yet another reason I don't need my season pass at Whiteface to cover that week.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best skiing

The mountain at Killigton is fine (and they do have amazing snow-making potential), but at Christmas, I imagine 86,000 people that can't ski crowding the slopes. I suppose most places will be full up that week, but Killington can seem like NYC North.

I also imagine waiting forever to get into bars and restaurants, with crappy service once you get there.

I dislike Colo. at Christmas as well, for the same reasons.

Yet another reason I don't need my season pass at Whiteface to cover that week.

Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best skiing

I know this is way late for a response, but for future inquiries, we have had our first experience skiing in VT (and New England) this year and can give you our opinion on how it compares to out west. We have skied in Utah (all over), Colorado (all over) and Montana for over 20 years. We went to Stratton because that's where our sons friends were going. It was nicer than I expected, mountainwise, (although the blue runs are more like green runs out west and likewise, black runs at stratton are like blue runs out west, etc. In general, it is not as challenging as mts out west). The accommodations are very pricey for what you get (unrenovated, outdated condos) and parking if you don't stay at the resort is a hassle with shuttle buses driving you back to the resort. The liftlines aren't managed by the employees. It's basically not on the same level as resorts out west. The restaurants are really downscale, even in the stratton resort which is considered upscale. (Not that you go for food, but at resort prices you expect a little better). The town is tiny, but cute enough. Not a whole lot going on apres ski. It seems really over-rated to us, considering this was supposed to be the upscale resort. It's better than not skiing at all, but it does not compare to the overall skiing experience out west.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best skiing

I have to agree, I don't care for Stratton. One area that I think gets overlooked is Sugarbush. It's north of Killington, about an hour, but I always found it worth the drive. But, it was always more about skiing and not about night life.

8. Re: best skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 05:23