We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

I am visiting my niece at Sterling College in Craftsbury Common over the Columbus Day weekend. I will have my three kids with me and need a nice, basic and cheap place to stay that isn't too far from Craftsbury Common. I have found the Village Motel in Hardwick and that may be a possibility. I have looked into some of the cabin-style motels. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to keep it under $100 per night. The Village Motel is $85.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

$85 for Columbus weekend in VT is very cheap. I don't know the motel and cannot find any reviews so would perhaps be a little suspicious - most good places have been fully booked columbus weekend for months.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

The Village Motel in Hardwick is fine if saving money is your chief concern. It won't be fancy at all -- but it is reasonably close to Craftsbury.

For a cheap place to stay, you might also check into the Sunset Motor Inn in Morrisville. www.sunsetmotorinn.com.

Morrisville is a bit further from Craftsbury.

Also, call Sterling and ask them what suggestions they have. Craftsbury is a small & friendly community -- you might even find someone who would be willing to put you up for the weekend. Or there might be a place on campus for you to stay.

Craftsbury -- great place. Sterling is such a great little school.

Have a great visit.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

Thanks Truman. I just wanted to make sure the motel is okay. Cheap is good since my wallet is still recovering from my many trips this summer. All I need is a place to sleep. My boys don't care either, anywhere is an adventure.

There seem to be some cabins in Barton that seem nice. Do you know anything about them. There were two or three places but I can't think of the names, one may be Pine Crest. Although, they maybe sold out since they are right on a lake.

I will probably go with the Village Motel as it puts me within driving distance of Plainfield and River Run for breakfast, one of my favorite places to eat in Vermont.

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

I'll vouch for the Sunset in Morrisville. Stayed there a couple of years ago, got breakfast with it, too. Not bad if cost is a consideration. AAA rated. Good jumping off location to the area.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

I don't know anything about the cabins in Barton. I don't like Barton a lot.

River Run is great.

Also, since you'll be in Hardwick, stop by the Galaxy Bookstore. You'll love it. Your kids will love it.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

Thanks Truman. Just got back today from Vermont.

The Village Motel was just fine, not luxurious but filled the basic needs - a cheap and clean place to sleep. The owner was very nice and helpful with answering questions.

The motel is not for someone who is picky or more at home at a quaint inn. It is good for people on a budget. I could hear a little noise from the other rooms but not too much.

I didn't make it to the Galaxy Bookstore but my niece has three years at Sterling so I will be back up. I did make it to River

Run and am happy to say that moving locations did not ruin the vibe of the place, I was a little nervous.

7. Re: inexpensive place to stay near Craftsbury Common

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 09:19