We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jay Peak over New Year's

Philly
2 posts
Save Topic
Jay Peak over New Year's

I know skiing over the Christmas holiday can be frustrating with the crowds, but it's the only time we can get up north for a few days. I've heard people are flocking to Jay Peak since the word got out that it's a hidden treasure. I read an article in Ski magazine about 7 years ago and have wanted to go to Jay ever since. We're finally planning on it this year, but we're a bit worried about the crowds. Has it been really crowded there the past couple New Years? Are there any better bets for holiday skiing?

We went to Sunday River one year and loved it, and we went to Killington 2 years and hated it.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jay Peak over New Year's

Jay should be as uncrowded i the US as you can get at that time. Be sure to venture across the border to Owls' Head. It's similar to Jay Peak in atmosphere, but smaller. Might as well hit Canada if you're going all that way.

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jay Peak over New Year's

Wondertrev is correct. It will be one of the mountains with a lesser crowd - but it will still have a crowd. So don't expect to just ski right onto the lift. But it will be tons better than say Killington or Stowe as far as lift lines go.

They have some GREAT skiing, wonderful glades - no, actually, AMAZING glades.

You can try Burke Mountain also - about 45 minutes to 1 hour southeast from Jay Peak. I ski there on Christmas day because it is deserted (in the past they only open for a half day in the afternoon). Unfortuatley the bar is closed - dang! Other than Jay Peak or Burke Mountain the rest of the mountains in Vermont will be busy busy busy. And unfortunatley it is probably only a matter of time before Jay and Burke become just as busy.

Enjoy your trip! Maybe I'll see you on the slopes (or in the bar)

;)Ash

New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jay Peak over New Year's

Jay is seldem crowded, it is too out of the way for too many people to get to. That is one of the reasons it is so special. And, most resorts get pretty busy that time of the year.

Philly
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jay Peak over New Year's

Thanks guys! Now we'll just pray for tons of snow! Any good recs for bars New Year's Eve? I heard the night life is very low key...

5. Re: Jay Peak over New Year's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 01:18