We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

Valley Stream,NY
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

I am going to Lancaster in Early April for two days with my family, and decided i would like to take a two day trip to Virgina from lancaster. I Love Authentic Southern Cuisine, Tradition, and Southern Hospatality. I know it is more common in states like, georgia, tenesee and Kentucky. But i was wondering what city in Virginia would be ideal for these things?????

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

You might look into Orange, Va. shoe motto is "sweet living, steady progress".

Or, Madison, Va., the county seat for Madison County and with the whopping population of 210 last census. madison-va.com/ Some good restaurants and accommodations and antique shops and Rt. 231, which is a top 10 US Scenic Byway.

Strasburg, Va., which is in the book 50 Best Small Southern Towns and is called an enchanting village in a beautiful valley, to give you an idea.

Abingdon, although that's further down and I don't know if you'll have much time to play with.

Actually, several. By two days, perhaps you mean one night in between so you'd need to leave Lancaster early to enjoy wherever you decide on.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
401 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

You also might try Culpeper. There's an article about it in this month's Southern Living magazine.

Valley Stream,NY
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

but these places are near washington dc/baltimore, they dont seem very southerny?

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

Abingdon is not near DC at all. The rest of the places are all at least an hour from DC. If you are traveling from Lancaster, PA (?) and only have 2 days, don't you want to spend more time at the destination than on the road?

Define "southerny" a bit more and maybe we can narrow it down further.

Valley Stream,NY
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

ok, my daughter always wanted to go to nashville, but its too far. She loves country music, southern accents, SOUTHERN FOOD :), southern traditions, flea markets, southern culture fairs, and espec. SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY :)))))):))) Like a place you can get biscuits, etc. lol Authentic

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

Oh, that's more like country if I'm understanding you. But, again, how long a drive to you want for just one night? Also, it's amazing how 'country' some places can be when they are small towns and outside of Northern Virginia. (Northern Va. is not the middle of the state and up.) Did you look at any of those sites? Aren't they quaint? Now, we can tell you about Wytheville and Big Stone Gap and Franklin and Amelia and Galax and Hillsville and Brookneal....but, again, let us know how far you want to travel, especially given country roads with low speed limits.

[If you're going more than five hours for biscuits from Lancaster, having driven however long from Valley Stream....you will definitely have to let that town's newspaper know. They'll want to make a picture of you and those biscuits:)]

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

I notice you're looking for fairs and festivals. That would usually mean a weekend, but also I'm not seeing much for that early. Being further north, we probably start our warm weather festivals later than places further south. For music, you would probably love the Carter Family Fold and they play in the spring too:

carterfamilyfold.org/index.htm

There are some great events in Galax (a Fiddler's Conventiion); fall festivities in Troutdale but a monthly bluegrass thing at the fire hall, cancelled in the event there's a fire; also in Fries and Stuart.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
401 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

Try visiting www.virginia.org to find festivals fairs and even restaurants that may be what you are looking for. This wite will enable you to search for events by the dates you are traveling. It also breaks down the state into regions so you can judge how far you want to travel from Lancaster.

Good luck. And remember that you can find "southern" not too far from the state line.

Valley Stream,NY
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

i decided not to go to lancaster. so i will have from march 29-april 2

NY/NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking For A Southerny Traditional Town

Hi Flight 6491, I just had to reply, because I grew up in Valley Stream and I lived in Central Virginia for 9 years. Are you looking for a small town experience or a city? Have you considered visiting Richmond? From there as a jumping off point, there are plenty of very "southerny" towns you could visit (especially "southerny" compared to what you're used to). Richmond, to a New Yorker, will really have the feel of a smaller southern city. Charlottesville is nice too, but unless you get away from the university, you won't feel like you're in the south at all, however, once you are away from UVA, you're definitely in the south there. Central Virginia is beautiful too, and the people are really nice. You pretty much can't go wrong.