Any useful comments or advice welcomed on proposed trip for September:-
* Washington DC (3 nights) just want to get a flavour of the city and visit the flight / space museum
* Drive to Luray via Skyline Drive - stopping off for 2/3 hours for a quick hike. Stay 2 nights. Possible horseback ride in Skylands.
* Drive to Charlottesville (via Waynesborough)- stay overnight
* Head for coast - possibly Chincoteague for 2 nights in order to explore Assateague area.
* Then head for somewhere around Rehoboth Beach area for three nights (Want to visit Drive in movie at Fenton on the Monday)
*Then back to Washington for overnight stay before coming home.
Main areas of indecision are the coastal stops. I like nice beaches. Would prefer areas not too commercialised( don't mind a bit of life but not "cheap and tacky" areas (if you know what I mean).
We are a couple in our forties (but about 25 - 30 in our minds).
Any suggestions welcomed as although we have travelled around the USA a fair bit - this is a new area to us.