We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving/Training options out of Washington DC?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving/Training options out of Washington DC?

From Australia we are planning to visit Washington DC next April with out 14 year old son. We were originally thinking of drving from there to Niagara Fall, but it will be too cold to visit then. So I am looking for ideas to self drive or train (scenic routes?) and interesting places to visit. We went to NYC and Boston a couple years ago so don't want to do that again. Was thinking about the Hampton/Norfolk area (never been - is it pretty and interesting?) or maybe even going further to North Carolina. We like both outdoor walking & sight seeing (not so much hiking or camping, more 4 or 5 star stuff), also cities to explore. We are looking at 5 days or so for this trip. All ideas would be welcome.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving/Training options out of Washington DC?

I would consider Charlottesville and/or Williamsburg. Both are nice towns and both have lots of history. You might also consider looking into the Greenbrier (it's a resort on the border in W. Virginia).

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving/Training options out of Washington DC?

Williamsburg, Virginia. Amtrak comes here from NYC, DC. Main attractions are Colonial Williamsburg, the two Jamestown sites, the two Yorktown sites. A good winery. Busch Gardens will be open then, depending on the dates, could be just on weekends. Or you could fly to Richmond (RIC), Norfolk (ORF), or Newport News(PHF) and drive from there.

Charlottesville is another good place. Lots of wineries, Monticello, near the Blue Ridge Mountains and Skyline Drive.

Either place could provide several days of things to see and do.

Hyattsville...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving/Training options out of Washington DC?

We live in Washington DC and recently my mum visited from UK, we took her to the Shenandoah Mountains, and drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway which is beautiful views and only about 2.5 hrs from DC to reach. Also you can explore VA wineries and Luray has some caverns you can tour. Lots of nice scenery, could stay at some B&Bs. Let me recommend Piney Hill B&B in Luray. I think the best way to discover America is to stay in B&Bs and meet the variety of people who live here.

We went to North Carolina this year, Ashville area, and that is also nice, Ashville is a fairly small city with a nice funky vibe.

Don't forget to set time aside to explore the city of Washington, I wasn't sure if you were including that in five days or not, but the city is beautiful, and LOTS to see. Your son will probably love the air and space museum a MUST see and then just over an hour north is Baltimore a very different feel than DC and well worth a visit. It has a waterfront area with shops and boats and a great Aquarium to tour. Also small funky neighborhoods. Then there is the Chesapeake Bay area. If your son has specific interests and you would like any other suggestions, just email me. Frances

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving/Training options out of Washington DC?

If you go to Virginia Beach / Norfolk, you might swing by Chincoteague and see the wild ponies. Here's a link to our pictures and information.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/assateague_island.htm

From DC, you'd go east on Rt 50 across the Chesapeake Bay until Salisbury, MD. In Salisbury, go south on Rte 13. When you get to Virginia, watch for the signs after a couple of miles. From there to Virginia Beach and Norfolk, continue South on Rt 13.

From VB, you can take I64 across to Richmond and then Charlottesville if you want.

5. Re: Driving/Training options out of Washington DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 11:23