We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg or Washington

Georgia
4 posts
Save Topic
Williamsburg or Washington

We have about 4 days in early October, and we were thinking of taking a last minute trip to Washington, DC, or Williamsburg, VA, or both. We have never been to either one, and would like some advice or recommendations as to which to visit, and where to stay.

We are a couple of recent empty-nesters, and would just like to see some new places.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg or Washington

DC could easily fill your 4 days. As to what I would recommend, it makes a difference if you're flying or driving. If you're driving and want a mix of city and a slower pace, I might do 3 days in DC and 1 in Williamsburg on your way back to Georgia. If you're going to fly, I would stick to DC to keep it simple.

To do in DC:

Smithsonian museums (I like the Air & Space, Natural History and the Freer & Sackler galleries, personally, but there are many others to see and not everyone's tastes are the same)

The monuments & memorials

The Holocaust Museum

Arlington Cemetary

Old Town Alexandria

and on and on...

If you like to shop, there's Tyson's Corner (2 retail malls in close proximity), Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets and Potomac Mills Mall (outlet center).

You could fill 4 days in Williamsburg as well. Seeing the Historic Triangle of CW, Jamestown and Yorktown, golfing, and outlet shopping. Only you can decide for yourself what kind of pace you want for your trip, and which location would suit you. Both are certainly worthy of attention, and you can always plan to come back to visit the one that you didn't have time for this trip.

Onley, Va
Level Contributor
492 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg or Washington

Post above was correct - either one would be great, but doing both in four days I don't think would be worth it. Museums in Washington are wonderful, but even more I love all the monuments. Williamsburg is one of my favorite places any time of the year, along with side trips to Jamestown and Yorktown. Or a visit to the Virginia Air and Space Museum (Newport News?) or The Botanican Gardens which are located right next to airport in Norfolk, the Aquarium in Virginia Beach..... There is a lot to do around the area.

3. Re: Williamsburg or Washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 21:19