We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia in October

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia in October

So, my family and I will be attending a wedding in Culpepper this October. We decided to try to make it a week long vacation, and go to virginia beach and/or williamsburg the week before or after and stay at one of timeshare resorts (my in-laws have oodles of TS points to use).

the weather around here in ohio the last few years has still been very warm in october. has it been the same there? also, do many places close down during the non-busy season, and if so, at about what date do they usually shut down?

basically, is it a good time of year to visit? we like the idea of missing the busy summer crowd, but we'd like to enjoy the beach, and even the water if possible. are there many beaches where the shelling is good? how far of a drive is assateague? would that make for a good day trip?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia in October

It's a 5-hr drive from Culpeper to Assateague, 3 hrs from Williamsburg, and 2.5 hrs from Virginia Beach. Day trip? I wouldn't drive that far and back for a day but that's me.

If you're coming to the beach and Williamsburg area, Busch Gardens will be open on the weekends only in Sept-Oct. The ocean will be getting pretty chilly by then, but like Ohio, Virginia has had many warm autumns. Seasonal shops will be closed, but many stores and almost all restaurants are year-round.

Shelling is not good in Virginia Beach. Oh, you'll find some oyster shells, mussels, little pebbley-type shells but not big beautiful ones.

Please ask more questions if you think of any.

Mentioned in this post
Culpeper
Culpeper
Virginia
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia in October

thanks Wendy. We're probably only going to be spending the 1 night in culpepper (the night of the wedding we're goign to), and either leave for home the next day (if we vacation on the shore the week before), or leave for VB/Williamsburg the next day. my in -laws wanted to go to DC, but we have a 2 year old and an infant (they'll both be 2 months shy of their 3rd and first birthdays at the time we go). Theres no way we could enjoy a trip to DC with 2 small kids, IMO. not enough to keep my daughter interested, and i really dont want to be dragging my kids around while trying to see some of the main things that i would want to visit, like the smithsonian.

so we compromised and decided on VB and/or williamsburg. Id' love to do Busch Gardens, just because i've never been. however, we frequent 2 other amusement parks in ohio, Cedar Point and Kings Island, and we have a pass to both this year. so busch gardens isn't a "must do."

I guess mostly i'd like to see the colonial williamsburg, norfolk and VB. i figured it would be a 2 hour drive from VB to assateague, but it would be worth it to me, as i'm an avid horse lover and bird watcher. maybe have my in-laws watch the kids for me that day and my husband and i could do the day drive, even though it would be long.

i'm sure i'll have more questions, as this trip isn't even set in stone yet. thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia in October

If you choose Va Beach, you may want to take your kids to the aquarium, they would love it, here is the link:

http://www.virginiaaquarium.com/

As for Busch Gardens, it is beautiful, more so than Cedar Point. But if you are into the rides, no place can beat Cedar Point, we loved our trip there last June!

Chincoteague is very nice, you may want to check out the forum page. October is a very nice time of year, you can see the horses, and also take in the beach.

You could do Williamsburg and Chinco/Assateague in one trip, a couple days each.

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia in October

Chincoteague has the fall pony roundup in October; also an Oyster Festival Oct. 11 this year and a Chili/Chowder cook-off Oct. 18 this year.

For more Chincoteague info: www.chincoteaguechamber.com/ev-sepoc.html

Colonial Williamsburg is fabulous in the fall! In October, there will be some fall color, more comfortable weather, and light crowds.

Oct. 11 weekend is "Prelude to Victory" recalling the days before the Victory at Yorktown. More information about Colonial Williamsburg here: http://www.cwf.org/

Mentioned in this post
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia in October

Excellent plan. Given your kids' ages, I wouldn't even bother with Busch Gardens, but like zoey said, Williamsburg would be lovely for strolling. Chincoteague likewise. If the grandparents agree to take the kids, they might go to the aquarium or even to Fort Fun at Mt. Trashmore.

Mentioned in this post
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia in October

awesoem info, DE's! thanks!

7. Re: Virginia in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 11:21