We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Classic Movie screenings

lincolnshire
2 posts
Save Topic
Classic Movie screenings

Hi all,

Have booked a family holiday in Virginia and DC for two weeks in the back end of August. It's our first trip to the US and I'm sure we will get the full, wonderful, authentic American experience, but one detail would be the icing on the cake.

My wife is a real movie buff, especially of the Golden Age of Hollywood from the Forties. I would love to take her to a proper movie theater (or drive in if such a thing still exists) and watch a classic Black and white movie on the big screen. Are there any Arts theaters screening any classic gems in Virginia or DC or is it all digital multiplex new releases?

I know Va is a long way from Hollywood, but it's a heck of a lot closer than Eastern England and it might be as close as we ever come.

I'd be really grateful if anyone has any suggestions.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Classic Movie screenings

I know of no place that does this on a regular basis, but there are many places where you can catch a special film festival. Here is a website, but I see nothing for August. http://www.nenoworld.com/Virginia.html However, maybe you can follow some links to find more information.

Here is another: …about.com/od/…Film_Festivals.htm

And one more: pictureshowman.com/festivalsandevents.cfm#DC

Good luck - I hope you find something good.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Classic Movie screenings

Check out these websites:

www.narocinema.com

The Naro is a historic theater in Norfolk Va (Ghent area, few miles from downtown), lots of great films, should be able to catch a classic b & w

www.driveinntheater.com

Provides a list of drive-inns by state, look for Virginia, North Carolina & Maryland (and other states that may be near your travels)

Enjoy your trip.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Classic Movie screenings

If you make it to Charlottesville, VA, there's a gorgeous old theatre on the Downtown Mall that's been recently renovated -- The Paramount. Mostly they have live shows there, but on some weekends they break out the classic movies.

"The Wizard of Oz" was playing for a couple days earlier this summer. And they've got movies coming up August 9 & 10th.

Check out their website -- theparamount.net

Good luck!

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
88 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Classic Movie screenings

I would recommend the E Street Cinema in the District. They are an 8-screen luxury theatre that specializes in independent, foreign films and classic revivals. They're at 555 11th Street, NW, DC. Enter on E Street between 10th and 11th Streets. Closest Metro station is Metro Center (202) 452-7672

Mondays during the summer, DC also hosts Screen on the Green. Bring a blanket to the National Mall between 4th & 7th and watch a classic on a big screen outdoors. Movies start 8:30 or 9pm but arrive by 6ish to get a good spot. This past Monday they played Arsenic & Old Lace.

Enjoy!

5. Re: Classic Movie screenings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 17:20