We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far can we get???

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
how far can we get???

Okay. I'm trying to figure out about how far we might get on July 3rd 09. We will be leaving Louisville Ky not later than noon. We do not need to be at the Seibert office until 3pm on July 4th. I know each day will be around 5.5 hours of driving so we have a few hours each day to play around with and stop to see things. Any suggestions on what to see or where would be a good stopping place? We can stay at almost any Hilton for about $30 a night so I'm trying to get us close to a town or city that has one.

Thanks

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how far can we get???

When I plan like you are doing, I go to mapquest or yahoo maps and plug in what looks like a reasonable town or city and check to see how long a drive it is from my starting point. If it fits, I then scope out the town for hotels and restaurants and any interesting sites. I might even check for surrounding towns.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how far can we get???

Thats what I will do when I get some more time but I just wanted some ideas on what is not to miss and what we could drive on by,lol. I've been told not to go over the Scenic hwy ??? 60 I think it was unless we have a lot of time.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far can we get???

If you have never been on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I would suggest driving a portion for a beautiful, scenic experience. You can catch it at Waynesboro, just past the I81/I64 interchange at Staunton. If you enjoy hiking, there are lots of opportunities for great short hikes. Traveling the Parkway depends on how much time you have, (it's a bit out of your way...you'll have to get on, drive some and loop back to I64) and how much you enjoy nature, hiking, scenery. Your halfway point appears to be around Huntington or Charleston W Va, check that forum for things to do. If you want to drive past the halfway point, Charlottesville Va is nice, Monticello, UVA, etc. Enjoy your trip.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how far can we get???

Lewisbrug VW is about 5.5 hours away from Louisville Ky and then from VB, so that is where we are going to try and stop at. Thanks for the ideas though.I will keep them with my notes for when I seriously start planning the trip. Not sure how scenic we will want since we wont have a whole lot of goof around time. Any place in the Applachian mts that is must to stop by??

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far can we get???

Lorinjer, the slow part of 60 we had talked about before is between 81 and 29, where you didn't want to wind up anyway, saying you wanted to take 64. 60's nice but not really the "scenic highway" of the area. It is also slow because it winds through a couple of ranges which means you need to slow down so you had decided when we last posted to parallel it on 64. There are some great views here and there though...but again it would put you our further south than you had wanted to be.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how far can we get???

Thats right, I remember now, thanks!!

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how far can we get???

Just what part of the big state of Virginia are you headed to? And what is the "Seibert office"? I've never heard of it.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how far can we get???

How funny -- the Siebert Office is a real estate office that handles summer rentals. Lorinjer is heading to the beach - I guess she's picking up keys at 3:00.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how far can we get???

yup that is where and when we can pick up our keys. They are very specific about that in the contract.

lol So with that, we looking for places to stop and see before we get there while driving hwy 64

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how far can we get???

mm - Seibert is in Sandbridge, VA. It's near Virginia Beach.

Get answers to your questions about Virginia