We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commonwealth vs town??

Staten Island
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Commonwealth vs town??

Can you explain the difference and how to know a Commonwealth ( bad taxes?) from a city or town in Virginia?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commonwealth vs town??

You question got me to thinking about why Virginia is a Commonwealth and not a state (the answer to which I never knew before). I went ahead and looked it up and thought I would pass on the information to you...

commonwealth.virginia.gov/FAQs/whyCommon.cfm

I thought it was interesting that while the are considered a "state" their constitution does not define them as such.

Happy Travels!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commonwealth vs town??

Commonwealth is a term that refers to the entire state, not to a part of the state. Virginia, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky all use the term Commonwealth in their state constitutions and state business, but the term is historical and does not imply that they are different from the other 46 states. They ratified the Constitution, so they ARE states even though they use the term that was popular "back in the day."

Yorktown, Virginia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Commonwealth vs town??

Concerning the local government structure in the Commonwealth of Virginia, cities and counties are totally separate. If you live in a city you are not a part of any county and vice versa. However, towns and part of counties.