We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue ridge mountains & skyline drive

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
352 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Blue ridge mountains & skyline drive

Hi

I am travelling to virginia in June, I plan to drive the skyline drive through SNP. My question does the skyline drive take you through any of the mountains or would I be better to drive some of the Blue Ridge parkway.

I am going to be based in Danville.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue ridge mountains & skyline drive

Skyline Drive is in the Blue Ridge Mountains and has lots of overlooks providing wonderful views. If you would like elevation and other details, a good reference is www.peakbagger.com/range.aspx?rid=16402.

Happy trails

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue ridge mountains & skyline drive

Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway are both parts of the same winding road which follows the crestline of the Blue Ridge mountain range, with continuous views on both sides into the valleys below, and many small car parks for pausing and scenic viewing. The northernmost 90 miles of the road, inside of Shenandoah National Park (between Waynesboro and Front Royal, Va.) are called Skyline Drive, and that stretch has two prominent official lodging and dining sites called "Skyland" and "Big Meadows". The famous "Appalachian Trail" hiking path also parallels Skyline Drive, crossing and re-crossing it. Some outstanding recommend tourist sites nearby include: Luray Caverns (in Luray) and Monticello (Charlottesville). The longer portion of the road from Waynesboro for hundreds of miles south into the state of North Carolina is called Blue Ridge Parkway.

3. Re: Blue ridge mountains & skyline drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 19:17