We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

So, the one year wedding anniversary is coming up mid-May and my wife and I are trying to find a good place to celebrate modestly. Modestly is key here. We don't have a ton of money and certainly don't want to spend it all in the economy. We are thinking in the $400 range for about three(I know this is a little crazy, but I just want to see what is out there, if anything)

Here is the kind of thing we are looking for:

-Somewhere we can drive to (we live in Richmond and would like to keep it to about a 6-7 hour drive)

-Somewhere relaxing- we aren't busy vactioners.

-We would like to find somewhere that has meals included in the price at least breakfast and dinner.

Any ideas would be welcomed: Cabins, beach motels, B&B's....and so on.

I know these are some pretty stringent requirements. But I also know the TA community has many creative and experienced travelers...we need your help!

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

Sorry, I meant to add a caveat here. I'm from the Hampton Roads area. While there are great things to do there, we'd rather be somewhere else. Thanks in advance to all info and opinions.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

$400 for 3 nights, including meals, etc for 2 people? That's a tough one.

You might be able to find something not too much higher than that at Graves Mt Lodge, in Syria:

http://www.gravesmountain.com/

If you can go during the week, there are specials at Mountain Lake that you might be able to squeeze into:

http://www.mtnlakehotel.com/default.asp

I remember Doe Run Lodge in Fancy Gap to be a nice place that had cabins and served meals, but I don't remember if they were all-inclusive. I can't find a website for them, so maybe they are not open any more.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

There's alot of places within 6-7 hours of Richmond....most all of Va, parts of W Va, Maryland, and more.

To save money consider some of these ideas:

During May, some places still have lower prices because summer season is not in full swing, take out some maps, look for State Parks, National Parks, they can be relaxing but also offer activities like hiking, canoeing, find things that interest both of you. Stay in a nearby moderately priced hotel, maybe with a nice pool, and tell them it's your anniversary, sometimes a manager can select a nicer, private room location. Pack food for breakfast and lunch and splurge on dinner. Before leaving on your trip, each can spend certain amount on the other for special gifts to open while on the trip....massage oil, rose petals, some fun stuff, some charming stuff, make coupons for the other to redeem, etc.

Each of you could select several locations to spend your anniversary, put them all "in a hat" and pick a place, then start planning.

Go to www.virginia.org (and similar sites for other nearby areas) to get ideas for a location, things to do, lodging, etc., check hotel reviews on TA but call hotels for prices...often the prices shown in TA review section are averages and actual rates may be less depending on the time of year.

Happy Anniversary

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

22Tango....I know, I know.

Iit's a super tight budget. I knew finding something wasn't going to be easy, and likely not possible but I had to throw it out there.

We are indeed planning on going during the week. My wife works at a church so she has to be there for Sundays, our anniversary is on a Monday and I have a really flexible work schedule.

Thanks for the suggestions from both of you, but we are hoping to actually go outside VA somewhere. If I knew specifically the area that we wanted to go, I would just post in that forum...but we are still undecided so I figured I would ask fellow Virginian's where they have gone.

To give a little more insight we are thinking about places like Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Wilmington. We like the beach vibe, but don't want to end up anywhere too crazy and touristy as the beach season will be starting to ramp up mid-May.

Also, if you know somewhere for a little more than what we are looking for, please speak up. Maybe we could do it a little cheaper!

Thanks again!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,150 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

There are some deals at the lodges in Shenandoah Park. If you take a look at www.visitshenandoah.com/specials/index.cfm

you can see what's available. For example, the Blue Ridge Parkway package offers 1 night/2 days lodging in either Skyland or Big Meadow Lodge, breakfast for 2, dinner for 2 and all taxes and gratuities for $198. If you did it for 2 nights/3 days, that would come in at your $400 limit.

If you have never been, Shenandaoh is very beautiful and relaxing--great scenery and hiking too.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

Great Smoky Mountain National Park, between NC & TN, is beautiful and May would be a nice time to visit. It's 7 hours to the entrance at Cherokee NC, but I prefer Townsend on the TN side of the Park, it's scenic, quiet, close to the Cades Cove area of the Park, and reasonably priced lodgng and food. Many people love Gatlinburg, more food and lodging choices, and things to do, but still right at the entrance to the Park. There are also cabins on both NC & TN sides. I would think you could do the trip with your budget. The Gatlinburg forum is very active and knowledgable, if you pose the same anniversary question to them, you will likely get many specific suggestions, they also know about surrounding areas. The Great Smoky Mountain National Park has a seperate forum and the posters there know every inch of the Park. The NC side of the Park also has great support. So if that interests you at all, post and see what happens.

Good luck.

7. Re: Low-cost Inclusive trip. Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 09:20