We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Douthat state park?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Douthat state park?

Hi all, please could we have as much detail on Douthat state park as possible. Particularly what it's like to camp with a tent in July. How secluded/private are the sites? How do the bugs compare with northern Ontario? And how strictly is the alcohol ban enforced? Thanks Matt.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Douthat state park?

I'll try to answer some of your questions. Douthat is a nice State Park with a bit of everything; great lake, trails for hiking & biking, fishing, camping, etc.

I haven't camped there but one of the tent areas is around the lake, nice but my guess is it may have more bugs than the other sites on higher ground. On my visit I was not brothered by bugs (early June). According to the Park brochure, alcohol is allowed in the private areas of your campsite, probably enforced, but if it's an issue for you, contact the Park directly and get their policy. If you haven't seen the website already, there is some good information, check it out at www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/dou.shtml and you can contact the Park at 540 862-8100 or douthat@dcr.virginia.gov

Happy trails

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Douthat state park?

Re Alcohol; We don't want to rave it up, we'd just like to enjoy a tipple with supper and around the camp fire. Sounds like as long as you don't get drunk and keep everything discreet you won't get hassled.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Douthat state park?

mattnvick,

Not sure what a tipple is, although I've had a ripple or two. I don't think a "tipple with supper" will be a problem.

Enjoy the park.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Douthat state park?

A tipple-a bit of a drink, i.e., a glass of wine with dinner.

Yes, I supposed being passed out next to the fire with the bottle of Jack in the crook of your arm would probably draw attention to yourself!

FWIW, put it in another container. Wine tastes just fine in plastic SOLO cups. :-P

5. Re: Douthat state park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2009, 05:23