We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Help

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
443 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip Help

We are driving from NJ to North Carolina the week before Thanksgiving. We are taking our time. We will pick up route 81 south in PA. Our first day we will drive from NJ to the Harpers Ferry area, Charles Town area of West Virginia and stop for the night maybe in Winchester Va.

Second day we were thinking of driving to Fort Royal and taking skyline drive to Waynesboro then go on to Roanoke. Is that too much in one day. How long from Fort Royal to Roanoke taking skyline drive.

Day three we will be driving from Roanoke into Mount Airy North Carolina and down 77 to 40 and into Rutherford County in between Charlotte and Ashevill. We figure that drive to be 4 or 5 hours.

Need advice on were to stay in Winchester. Also how long from Front Royal to Roanoke. Where to stay in Roanake.

In addition is a side trip to Natural Bridge worth it.

How is skyline drive 3rd week in November.

Thanks for your Road Trip help.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Help

I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you one thing you need to keep in mind. Skyline Drive is part of a National Park (obviously - I'm sure you knew that part) and therefore the speed limit is only I believe 25 mph (maybe 30-35, I forget) and it is enforced. Take that into account in making your plans...that plus any stopping you wish to do for scenic overlooks...doesn't sound like you are considering stopping to hike or anything, jsut enjoy the views. Just keep that all in mind - it might take longer than you originally thought

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
443 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Help

Thanks you. Can you tell me if Highway 340 and Highway 81 are scenic roads?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Help

When you say highway 81, do you mean I-81?

I'm having trouble envisioning your route from Roanoke into Rutherford County - is there a town or city you want to stop at? During the trip, Mt. Airy is worth a stop, especially for the Andy Griffith/Mayberry attractions, if that appeals to you. We spent a couple of hours there last year and enjoyed a look and walkabout.

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
443 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip Help

We might not actually stop in Roanoake. I am looking at I-81 into Route 77 to route 40. Route I-81 seems to be the interstate highway that goes to 77 and through most of Virginia. We were going to stop in Mt. Airy as we are Mayberry fans.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Help

I was asking about Rutherford County, and where you thought you might stop. Last summer, we did quite a bit of driving in North Carolina for a minor league baseball tour, and I was asking to see if I knew anything about the area you were thinking of. We went from Hickory NC to Asheville NC, then to Johnston City, TN the next day. The day after we went to Mount Airy and then on to Winston-Salem.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip Help

It seems you might be aiming for a lot of nature.

Skyline Drive will be a beautiful drive. with the leaves down you can get fabulous views. Remember your binoculars.

When you reach the end of Skyline Drive you could continue on the Blue Ridge Pkwy to around Roanoke. But you may be opting for I-81 because of the low speed and winding road taking so long.

Here and there as you travel on I-81, this super highway, you'll have mountain views, close ups of cows and farms and fields.

At the end of Skyline Drive, Rt. 64, you might go east to Charlotttesville...but that is a city, albeit a great small one, if you want to keep with the 'wilderness' theme.

Natural Bridge has a lot going on. I haven't been in a while but there's the bridge, safari park, museums and historic hotel.

For a stay in roanoke area....would you consider the views of the Brierly in Lexington?

Or the great rustic Peaks of Otter on a lake, on the Parkway, and beside a few mountain tops. It's in Bedford, north of Roanoke but south of Lexington.

Let me get back to you on a suggestion for your stay in the northern part of Va.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip Help

It's sooner than you planned to stop but we liked Country Inn and Suites in Chambersburg Pa. We got a great low rate when they were very new and it was not in season. Don't know what it is now but the accommodations and people were very nice. There's a bead store in a big historic building in town.

http://www.potomacbeads.com/

And a wonderful old theater on Main Street with some summer shows:

http://www.thecapitoltheatre.org/

You might take a trip to Great Stuff by Paul...some, well, great stuff, and a lot at reasonable prices. It's in Frederick Md:

http://www.greatstuffbypaul.com/featured.asp

The West Va part of 81 is very short so keep your eye open for an outlet center on the east side I guess you'd call it. I think it's a Tangier Outlet.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip Help

I-81 in Pennsylvania is a very busy road, with lots of truck traffic. There are scenic parts, especially north of Harrisburg and crossing the Susquehanna, but it's not my first choice of road.

If you are interested in a little bypass that will take you to Harpers Ferry by way of Gettysburg, let me know. According to Mapquest, it could shave off some time between Harrisburg and Harpers Ferry, and it would be a little more pleasant.

9. Re: Road Trip Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 05:16