We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia itinerary suggestions for teenagers

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia itinerary suggestions for teenagers

We are planning a 3 week trip to Washington dc & virginia with my 2 teenage kids at the end of June and part of the month of July. Will be staying in DC for 4 days and then want to travel Virginia. We are checking out a college in Lynchburg, would like to hit a couple amusement parks to break up all the historical things we are doing and end our trip at Virginia Beach. Any recommendations?

Edited: 14 February 2010, 03:30
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia itinerary suggestions for teenagers

The two big amusement parks in Virginia are Kings Dominion which is located north of Richmond just off I-95 (Doswell) and Busch Gardens which is in Williamsburg. Kings Dominion includes a waterpark and there is a separate waterpark in Williamsburg, Water Country.

Busch Garden has lots of trees and greenery, so it's more pleasant to me than Kings Dominion. Both parks have plenty of thrill rides for teens.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia itinerary suggestions for teenagers

One itinerary might be something like:

4 days DC

1 day Kings Dominion (spend the night in Richmond)

1 day Richmond (spend night in Charlottesville)

2 / 3 days Charlottesville (Monticello / UVA) [consider day trip to Luray Caverns, 2 hours north]

1 day drive Blue Ridge Parkway from Charlottesville to Lynchburg

1 day Lynchburg

1 day drive Lynchburg to Williamsburg via Appomatox / southside VA

5 days Williamsburg [1 day yorktown, 1 day jamestown, 1 day colonial williamsburg, 1 day busch gardens, 1 day water country USA]

Remaining 4 to 6 days Virginia Beach.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia itinerary suggestions for teenagers

I didn't focus on the fact that you are going to Lynchburg. I don't know what interests your teens besides amusement parks, but there are some things around Lexington (only 1 hour from Lynchburg) and Natural Bridge (also about 1 hour from Lynchburg and 20 minutes from Lexington) that might be a hoot for your teens. (My 20-y-o, a fan of the "Weird America" series of books, make this trek last summer and had a blast.)

1. Natural Bridge is the location of...a natural bridge. But it's also home to some really kitchy roadside attractions. My daughter loved Dinosaur Kingdom and Professor Cline's Haunted Monster Museum.

2. Lexington is the location of historic sites such as the home of Stonewall Jackson, the tomb of Robert E. Lee (and his horse, Traveler), Virginia Military Institute and Washington and Lee University. It's also home to Hull's Drive-In Theatre. Wouldn't your kids get a kick out of going to a real drive-in theatre? And they might even let you come too.

3. Lynchburg is the home of the Lynchburg Hillcats, an "A" minor league baseball team associated with the Cincinnati Reds. If you've never been, minor league baseball is great!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia itinerary suggestions for teenagers

To add a few things:

Halfway from DC to Richmond, before you hit Kings Dominion, is Fredericksburg. A darling college town (Univeristy of Mary Washington) that has the best old timey ice cream: Carl's. We pull off the highway just to get ice cream. A lovely downtown area with many antique shops is a short drive from Carl's.

Richmond will be getting a new baseball team this season, our new Flying Squirrels, AA Giant's farm team.

Richmond is the Capitol of the Confederacy, if that should interest you. The White House of the Confederacy is downtown, and a short walk away is the state Capitol and Governor's manion, both of which you can tour. The capitol was designed by Thomas Jefferson. You will learn alot about this president when you tour Charlottesville: his home is Monticello and you can get a student led tour of the "lawn" at the Univeristy of Virginia, too.

The Byrd Theater in RIchmond is an old movie "palace" that now shows second run movies for around $2 in the evenings. It is located in Cary Town, which is a great place to explore.

Williamsburg is a mecca for outlets. The Prime Outlets just added a new big section. That is good for a whole day of shopping if you have girls. Even my boys love the Nike and Under Armor outlets. If it is a cloudy day, many tourists forgo the waterpark and Busch Gardens and go shopping instead and it can get crowded. Many will even drive up from Va Beach.

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia itinerary suggestions for teenagers

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. I wasn't sure which routes to take and this spells it out nicely...GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

6. Re: Virginia itinerary suggestions for teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 07:18