We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

Fort Mill, SC
4 posts
Save Topic
Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

We will be stopping overnight about two hours outside of DC on our way back to Charlotte in April and would like to know of a nice town area to stop in around Richmond but isn't exactly Richmond, if you know what I mean. We would have a few hours to spend in that town the next morning. My aunt and uncle are coming over from England and we would like them to see a nice VA town. It can be a little out of the way, but not too much. We would be taking 85 to 95 from Charlottte to DC.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

I would just make it Richmond. While it is a CITY, it's not that big a city. You can select particular areas to focus on like Cary Town or the Shockoe area, or drive along Monument Avenue. I don't see any towns close by that offer anything interesting. Tappahannock has some cute little shops and history, but I think that's too far off I-95. Hopewell? Colonial Heights?

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

Ashland, VA has quite a full range of national chain restaurants, stores, and motels, and is also a traditional town with Randolph-Macon College.

Fredericksburg, VA is a larger town, very historical with a charming and walkable touristy downtown and colonial-era buildings and shops. Route 3 west, just across I-95 from Fredericksburg, has two very large regional shopping centers called "Central Park" and "Spotsylvania Mall". Quantico, VA on I-95 has the newly-opened, quite colorful (and free) "National Museum of the Marine Corps".

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

My first thought was Fredericksburg, but I didn't think it was far enough away from DC. I forgot about Ashland -- good suggestion.

Fort Mill, SC
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

Actually upon further research we will likely take 66 to 64 back to Charlotte and stay somewhere in the Blue Ridge Parkway. It only adds about half an hour according to MapQuest. It looks like Harrisonburg is about 2.5 hours away from DC. What is that area like? I think they would love it over on that side of the state!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

Harrisonburg and vicinity would be a nice detour. It's a college town -- ride through the campus of my alma mater (JMU), please! Nearby is Dayton where you'll likely see Old Order Mennonites in their buggies heading to town to shop or racing each other to church if it's Sunday. Or drive around in Dayton and see beautiful farms. The Dayton Farmer's Market is a fun place to shop. In Harrisonburg, stop in at Kline's for the best ice cream -- always a choice of chocolate, vanilla, and flavor of the day (2 locations -- downtown is the original -- across from the Catholic Church). There are some small wineries nearby too.

Please ask if there is something specific you're wondering about.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

I-64 does not go to Charlotte. I think you meant to say I-66 to I-81 to I-77 at Wytheville. Many towns in the Blue Ridge Mountains have antique shops. There are at least 6 different cave tours around VA which you will notice advertised, the largest and best of which is Luray Caverns in the town of Luray. Something reminiscent of England is the Shakespeare Theater in Staunton, VA. The sophisticated university city of Charlottesville is ranked on many lists as among the best cities in USA to live in, or retire to, has the world-famous Monticello, the mountaintop home of Thomas Jefferson, and downtown pedestrian zone. Lexington is a beautiful college town.

Edited: 23 March 2010, 12:21
7. Re: Good stopping point around Richmond 85/95

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 06:15