We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your recommendations for 5 week tent camping itinerary?

Blanco, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Your recommendations for 5 week tent camping itinerary?

Two adults, 7yr old and small dog want to get out of TX heat July/Aug. Taking Toyota Corolla, tent and minimal gear. Looking for higher elevations Virginia (W.Virginia?), moderate hiking, swimming, berry picking, organic farms, bike/canoe rentals,occasional access to smaller towns, local library/theatre etc.... Prefer "home base" in one place for a few weeks, rather than moving every few days, so looking for max. 3 areas, total 5 weeks. Your suggestions? Much appreciated.

Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your recommendations for 5 week tent camping itinerary?

Well it's not in the mountains, but I would recommend Westmoreland State Park. You can probably find info on the VA State Park website. Briefly stated, it's on the Potomac, with high bluffs overlooking the river. Sharks teeth are a common find on the beach. Very close by are: Westmoreland Berry Farm, Stratford Hall (Robert E. Lee's birthplace), and Wakefield (George Washington's birthplace). The Park is about 40 min. east of Fredericksburg on Rte. 3. If any of this sounds interesting, reply and I will tell you more.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your recommendations for 5 week tent camping itinerary?

You might look at Smith Mountain Lake State Park. You'll have mountains, a really nice lake beach, plenty of hiking trails, and all kinds of boat rentals. Nearby is Peaks of Otter for more hiking. I've seen lots of u-pick signs (I think blueberries in July). Several cute towns include Bedford and Rocky Mount. You also have small cities nearby like Lynchburg, Salem, and the larger city Roanoke. If you like baseball, both Lynchburg and Salem have single A farm teams -- makes for a nice and inexpensive afternoon or evening. This area also has several small wineries and plenty of history (D-Day Memorial, Booker T. Washington Homeplace).

Richmond, Va.
Level Contributor
81 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your recommendations for 5 week tent camping itinerary?

Here are the campgrounds we've stayed in: James River State Park, near Appomattox, Va. Actually, we rented a cabin there, but there also is a campground. The great thing at this campground is the canoeing on the James River. It's a nice park.

Fairystone State Park, near Martinsville, Va., great swimming, and I loved looking for the Fairystone crosses -- rock-like crystals, that (if you really use your imagination) are cross-shaped. The park ranger leads you on a free hunt for the stones, which are found naturally on a nearby hillside. I'd wanted to look for Fairystones ever since I was young, and was not disappointed.

In West Virginia, we camped at Pipestem State Park. The trolley is neat, and my son, who was about 9 then, liked the old-fashioned putt-putt course.

Grayson-Highlands State Park, absolutely beautiful -- way out in southwest Va.

Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort, a one or two-night stay, was nice. The hike up to the Appalachian Trail and Spy Rock is good. It's in Nelson County, Va.-- not too far from Charlottesville, Va.

Crabtree Falls Campground (has been a few years since we've been there). But the hike to Crabtree Falls is a good one. And it's a pretty campground along the river, Tye River, I think. Also in Nelson County, Va.

None of these places is particularly close to civilization -- stores, libraries, movie theaters, etc. But they are in pretty places -- in or close to the mountains -- and worth considering.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
416 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your recommendations for 5 week tent camping itinerary?

I'm not very familiar with most of Virginia campgrounds- we just got back into it last year and we don't head out again until July so I don't have comments on the new ones we're trying. However! Last year we did Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge and it was fantastic. We stayed at Big Meadows and found lots to do in that area. Not sure if you're strictly hiking or visiting the area as well, but this location offers both. Luray Caverns is in this area (and a hedge maze and "zoo") or multiple hikes with varying difficulties. We camped with our children (ages 3 and 5) so we did the less difficult hikes- and some begin right in the campground itself. But Big Meadows itself is wonderful to explore. It's an incredibly large "meadow" with paths created from hikers criss-crossing every which way with countless brush and flowers creating a beautiful hue especially towards sunset. We saw lots of deer (right beside our tent one morning) and the weather was fantastic (although we went in early September). Note- the temps do drop at night. I believe dogs are permitted on most hiking trails. Big Meadows isn't the only place to camp- also in this area is Lewis Mountain and Loft Mountain campgrounds. (We head to Loft in Sept).

Another option may be to head towards southwest VA. Mt. Rodgers (Va's tallest peak) is in this area. There are many beautiful small towns here that are picturesque and quaint. Abingdon Va is great. It boasts the oldest State Theater (Barter Theater- named so b/c people used to barter food/grain for admittance) with famous alums like Gregory Peck and still has year round plays. But I haven't camped in this area (although it's on our list!). I would guess there are great places though- you can probably find information on the internet. I hope this helps a bit...

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your recommendations for 5 week tent camping itinerary?

Hey Gerbers, try this:

www.va-camping-review.com

6. Re: Your recommendations for 5 week tent camping itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 05:15