We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal Drive through Virginia

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal Drive through Virginia

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I will be driving from New York City to San Francisco via the southern route over 10 days. We initially wanted to visit Charleston and Savannah but don't have enough time, but we still want some time driving along the coast though. Does anyone have suggestions within Virginia (or Maryland) for a nice coastal drive or town to stop in prior to heading west to Asheville (and maybe Chapel Hill)?

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal Drive through Virginia

Have you considered Virginia's Eastern Shore? There are a number of small towns with interesting stops, including Chincoteague.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal Drive through Virginia

Chincoteague Island, VA would get my vote. Used to be a fishing community. Next island out is Assateague Island. Home of wild ponies and lots of birds. If either of you ever read Misty of Chincoteague, this is the place.

We put several pictures of ponies, birds and scened from Assateague on our website. They should let you see what the place looks like.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/assateague_island.htm

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal Drive through Virginia

I agree with the suggestion from Zoey and AKJ about the VA Eastern Shore. You may also consider driving North Carolina's Outer Banks; Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, and include Manteo, even Hatteras if you have time to backtrack a bit. From OBX, the trip to Chapel Hill and Asheville is fairly easy (long, but easy), take US64W and I40W.

Hope this helps.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal Drive through Virginia

Thanks so much for the info everyone! I wouldn't have though about chincotetague and Asateague, and these are much better alternatives to the crowded boardwalks. Hope to make it to Kitty Hawk area if time permits.

5. Re: Coastal Drive through Virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 06:17