We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Virginia

Virginia
1 post
Save Topic
Where to go in Virginia

I need help. i have to plan a 3 and a half day getaway the the wife and myself. i want to do it in Virginia. i have already done the Hampton Roads trip so i want to try somewhere different. Any suggestions? thanks

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Virginia

I like Chincoteague and Assateague Islands. Nice anytime of year in my opinion. In the fall, you can frequently find many snow geese. Ponies are always around. Most of the activities in the fall / winter involve walking the trails on Assateague and enjoying the sights.

We put some information and a lot of pictures on our website that might help you see what the place looks like.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/assateague_island.htm

There are photo albums by area and trip reports. The trip reports are usually fairly short but have a few decent associated pictures.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Virginia

Smith Mountain Lake is lovely and has lots to offer. Rent a condo on the water. There are several nice small wineries nearby including Hickory Hill, Savoy-Lee, White Rock, Peaks of Otter. There is history -- visit Booker T. Washington's birthplace. You can tour the dam. In Bedford, the D Day Memorial is definitely worth a visit. Also in Bedford are wonderful antique shops. At Peaks of Otter you can hike, picnic, visit the little museum, and even pick fruit, depending on when you go.

Another idea is Abingdon, home of the Barter Theater. They put on wonderful plays and they always have several going on at the same time (there are 2 theaters). Abingdon also has a charming shopping district, walking tour, winery. In nearby Damascus you can walk or ride bikes on the Creeper Trail.

Charlottesville is another great area for history and wineries and charm.

For big city and museums, nothing beats the DC area.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Virginia

What do you like to do? History? Wineries? Outdoors/Hiking?

Do you want to stay put for 3 nights in same hotel, or do you want to drive and stay somewhere different each night? What time of year? You could stay at Wintergreen resort. Ski, get spa treatments, and then do Charlottesville for a day.

Chincoteague is nice.

There are MANY options, but how you want to travel over those 3 days may help narrow it down.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Virginia

Much will depend on the time of year...

If this trip is in the spring, try Monticello in C'ville. It's very interesting and, at that time of year, gorgeous in the gardens. From there, you could also go on over to Staunton for a production at the Blackfriars's Theater - great for Shakespeare. Neat town to walk around too.

Richmond, Va.
Level Contributor
81 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Virginia

When you say you've done Hampton Roads, does that mean you've visited Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown? If not, I'd vote for a 3-day visit to the Historic Triangle.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Virginia

Head for the mountains. So much to do. Try Natural Bridge. My family loves it. There is a drive-thru animal zoo close by which always provides lots of laughter.

Further north is Shenadoah Caverns which is very lovely. And Luray Caverns is close by.

7. Re: Where to go in Virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 05:16