We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

We are a couple in our 30's and live in Alexandria, and we are thinking about driving to Natural Bridge for a day trip. It's 3 1/2 hours away and I am wondering if it's worth the drive.

We would also stop to see Foamhenge and the Safari Park.

For those of you who have done those things, would you drive 3 1/2 hours to do them again?

We just drove to Luray Caverns and that was great but it was only 2 hours away.

Natural Bridge seems cool to see but I don't know if it's a 7 hour round trip cool.

Thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

I've been to Natural Bridge and I would not do that long drive just to see it.

However, I think you could have a great "Weird Virginia" road trip by making a weekend of it to see: Natural Bridge, Safari Park, Foamhenge, Dinosaur Kingdom (where the dino statues attack Union soldiers), and Professor Cline's Haunted Monster Museum. You could add some "real" history by visiting Lexington, too (Stonewall Jackson home, VMI, etc.) If you are going in the summer, Lexington has a drive-in theatre called Hull's and that would be a fun "blast from the past".

Edited: 08 March 2011, 23:05
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

OOOOHHHHH Foamhenge! Forgot about that place. What fun.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

I got my boyfriend to agree to a trp to Natural Bridge when I showed him the pictures of the safari and the animals sticking their heads inside the car.

We will be stopping at all of the above attractions for a long day, but it should be pretty fun.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

For a retro trip, include a visit to the Route 11 Potato Chip factory and store. Habanero and Chipotle, Chesapeake Crab, and Dill Pickle chips are among our favorites. They have the regular too:

http://www.rt11.com/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

Rt 11 is such a good idea and they are on the way home for us. Hopefully they will be cooking when we arrive!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

Tell us how your trip goes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

We just went to Luray Caverns last weekend so this one is not going to be for a few weeks but I am very into planning early and researching, even if it's only a day trip.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

We stopped at Natural Bridge as part of a road trip to Nashville and Memphis, and it was definitely worth the stop. I love the idea of the "Weird Virginia" weekend described above. We saw the signs for Foamhenge, etc., but didn't have time to visit them.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

If you do make the road trip and are considering spending the night, there's a really really really good package deal for 2 people that includes 1 night, admission and breakfast. Check out the natural bridge of virginia website.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Natural Bridge- worth the drive?

If you're in Fairfax, the drive probably won't be more than 3 hours.