We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luray caverns

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
luray caverns

we will be travelling down from Toronto to Virginia Beach in early July and we would like to make a stop at the Luray Caves. without straying too much from our alloted travel time, will 2 hours be enough to adequately tour the caves?

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Luray
Luray
Virginia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luray caverns

We just went to Luray Caverns a few weekends ago.

The actual cave tour is only about an hour long but there are a few things to do on the grounds that may eat up some of your time. There is a classic car museum that is free with your ticket and a garden maze that I think is $7 per person. We didn't do either of those things and we still had a really good time visiting the cavern.

Mentioned in this post
Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns
3,762 Reviews
Luray, VA
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luray caverns

thanks for the info. we are really interested in visiting the caverns and I worried that the stop would really delay our trip into Virginia Beach.

Are there any quick and decent places to grab a bite nearby? (other than fast food joints)

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luray caverns

Keep in mind Luray is a good bit of off your path south. The detour west alone will be 2 hours unless you plan on using 81 south?

Mentioned in this post
Luray
Luray
Virginia
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: luray caverns

CAA (AAA) has a route planned out travelling the 219S/I99/I70/I81 and I66 from Toronto to Luray then from Luray to VB 211 to 522/Germanna/I95S/I295 and I64S

does this sound right? distances and map look like we are going in the right direction but now you're making me paranoid LOL! don't need to stop if this side trip is going to veer us off our route in the long run

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Luray
Luray
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: luray caverns

I'm always thinking Toronto is further east like Montreal (sorry) but I do know how to spell leaves. ;-)

I guess that really isn't out of the way but also keep in mind that 522 isn't interstate. It's not rural back road either. Luray is a nice place to visit but don't count on any special food there really.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Luray
Luray
Virginia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: luray caverns

There are some places to eat in Luray but please be aware that it is a pretty small town so you're not going to find major chain restaurants.

We ate at Rancho Viejo, a Mexican place, about 10-15 minutes from the caverns. The food and service were totally fine for the area and I would go back if we were ever there again. We happen to love Mexican food and our meals both stacked up to what we get at home.

They bring out Ranch dressing with the chips and salsa which I thought was strange until I realized we were at RANCHo Viejo, then I thought itwas kind of funny.

There is a cafe on the caverns grounds but we did not stop there because I'm vegetarian and that type of place typically does not have anything good for vegetarians.

I would say that even if you're put off your schedule for a bit, the trip to Luray Caverns is worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns
3,762 Reviews
Luray, VA
7. Re: luray caverns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 18:15