We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway in fall

Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway in fall

We would like to visit the Blue Ridge Parkway in fall and have these questions: During which month can we expect the best colors? Do we need to book all accommodations in advance? Is it possible to be tenting at that time of year?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in fall

It is always difficult to predict the best time to view fall foliage because there are many variables; yearly rainfall, temperatures, altitude, etc. Normally mid to late October is ripe for viewing fall colors. Take a look at last year's SNP report to get an idea: www.nps.gov/shen/parknews/fall_colors.htm

Shenandoah is usually quite busy during the fall and if you are comfortable making reservations, I suggest you consider it. Some of the Park campgrounds do not take reservations, they are on a first come basis. Take a look at the schedule: nps.gov/shen/…facilities-opening-schedule.htm

Nighttime temperatures during October are normally in the 30's. Keep an eye on weather as your trip nears, here is a good site:

www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/weather.htm

The information I provided is regarding Shenandoah National Park but most is also appropiate for much of the BRP. Your actual location may affect peak fall colors; northern and highest altitude foliage turns first.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in fall

I can't add any better information to what goneagain2 has provided. I may copy it for use this fall! :-)

I will suggest though that if your trip involves a weekend and a hotel or B&B, you'll definitely want to make reservations. I'll also add that October is wine month in Va and there ate many related events at the various wineries and towns during that time.

Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in fall

Thanks very much. Appreciate the website suggestions for planning. We are looking forward to seeing your beautiful part of the world.

4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 20:15