We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in Virginia

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches in Virginia

I am just starting to plan our 11 day visit in early August.

We love national parks and living history so Shenandoah and Williamsburg will be our bases. Whilst in the latter, I'm sure that my kids (13 & 9) would like to have a day at a beach. Every time I search 'beaches in Virginia' I end up with Virginia Beach.

Is that our best (only) option? My impression is that VB in summer will be crowded. We would be equally happy on a less popular beach.

Hope that TA members can give us some insights.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches in Virginia

Virginia Beach is THE beach. But there are a couple options. Assateague on the Eastern Shore is a wonderful beach, but that's not a day trip from either of your home bases. Colonial Beach likewise is not a day trip. You might like the river beach in Yorktown which is definitely doable while you're in Williamsburg.

But let's talk about VB a minute. If the crowds bother you, you wouldn't have to go to "The Strip" or Boardwalk which is considered the tourist zone. You could go to Croatan or Sandbridge, both of which are in VB but are more residential beaches. Or you could go to Chick's Beach on the Chesapeake Bay. Any of these areas will be less crowded but give you the big ocean or bay beach as opposed to a river beach.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches in Virginia

Hi Londoner!

The whole eastern side of VA touches the Atlantic ocean & Chesapeake Bay, along with large rivers that open up into those bodies of water, so VA really has all sorts of beaches- oceanfront, bayfront, riverfront. Here is a wonderfully informative link from the official VA tourism site on your main beach choices. But there are actually many more beaches than just these that us locals can direct you to if one of these don't suit your needs. http://www.virginia.org/VirginiaBeaches/

Have fun!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches in Virginia

Many thanks to both of you for the insights into VB and for the web link. I'll follow up on that info and will be back with more questions.

4. Re: Beaches in Virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2013, 10:28
Get answers to your questions about Virginia