We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

Hello,

I am staying at Fort Belvoir from 25 - 29 March. I would like to visit Washington DC, specifically for the Cherry Blossoms, but also the Smithsonian. Is there public transport from the Fort Belvoir area to Washington, DC? This will be my first time visiting this region. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

If you will have a car, you could drive to the nearest Virginia Rail or Metrorail station

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

You need to visit the official metro website:

http://www.wmata.com/

No need for a car... there are 4 locations at Ft. Belvior where you can pick up a metro bus.

Appears to me that the bus takes you to the Franconia-Springfield Metro station where you can take the blue line metro train into the city...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

Be aware that the window for the blooming of the cherry blossoms can shift. Right now they are predicting peak to be during the time you are here, but I would keep an eye on that. It has been amazingly warm around here, and my neighbors' trees are already starting to bloom.

Check the National Cherry Blossom Festival website for updates.

Also know that windy days or rain will do them in quickly as well, so keep an eye on the weather. This year is the 100th anniversary, and the Cherry Blossoms are probably the #1 tourist draw in D.C., so expect CROWDS! Luckily the trees are open 24/7, so plan your visit early in the morning if you can.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

Thank you everyone. This is very helpful! My question had been answered and I look forward to my trip to Washington DC in a few weeks!

Edited: 09 March 2012, 22:18
Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

is there any trains from new york to washington dc and virginia.we plan to travel from new york to washington dc,viginia,,north carolina and south to atlanta down to houston.we are on a buget.

Edited: 15 March 2012, 23:59
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

Many trains from NYC to D.C. visit www.amtrak.com for schedules and fares. There are far fewer trains from D.C. to points south -- only one overnight train a day runs from D.C. to Atlanta, and it can sell out. There is then a train from Atlanta to New Orleans, where you can change to a train to Houston. But given the distances involved many people prefer to fly between these cities rather than take the train. For a tight budget, you might also look at the bus (www.greyhound.com).

7. Re: Transportation between Fort Belvoir and Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:15