We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping & Hiking in the Jefferson and Wash Natl Forest

Boston
Level Contributor
58 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Camping & Hiking in the Jefferson and Wash Natl Forest

I'll be traveling from Asheville to Charlottesville in early May. I want to make this a two day trip and camp overnight in the Jefferson or Washington National Forests.

The information at the official website is not particularly helpful. I was hoping someone could recommend a good campground or two along the way? Tent only but I would like showers and normal bathrooms.

I'm also looking for hiking recommendations. 3 miles or less, moderate difficulty.

Don't suggest anything on the Blue Ridge Parkway side of route 81. We're going down the BRP and will have covered that already.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping & Hiking in the Jefferson and Wash Natl Forest

Here is a list of campgrounds with description in Jefferson Natl Forest:

forestcamping.com/dow/southern/jeffcmp.htm

Most of the camping I've done in Jefferson and Washing NF has been backcountry so I can't suggest any on this list. I know of Beartree, the 2nd one on the list, as it is convenient to Mt Rogers and town of Damascus. Grayson Highlands State Park is also nearby, has a great campground, wonderful trails, and wild horses, see reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g57997-d10…

Here is a link to Mount Rogers NRA:

sherpaguides.com/virginia/mountains/blue_rid…

I didn't quite understand about your trail location preference regarding the BRP, GWNF and JNF, so I'll just suggest a few in the general area and hope something works for you...........

Cascades: A wonderful waterfall hike near Pembroke Va, close to Blacksburg, worth a brief detour if you have time, beautiful hike with water the entire trail:

hikingupward.com/JNF/TheCascadesBarneysWall/

Crabtree Falls: scenic waterfall trail near Montebello:

www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/CrabtreeFalls/

Cold Mountain and Mt Pleasant, share the same trailhead area, nice scenic mountain view trails near Lexington:

www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/ColdMountain/

www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/MountPleasant/

Click on the Hiking Upward link and on the left you can see Jefferson and Washington NF listed with numerous trails with detailed descriptions:

http://www.hikingupward.com/

Other State Park campgrounds that might be convenient for you are Claytor Lake SP near Radford and Blacksburg and Hungry Mother SP near Marion.

Hope this helps. Happy trails.

Boston
Level Contributor
58 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping & Hiking in the Jefferson and Wash Natl Forest

Thanks Goneagain2, excellent info.

We're traveling south along the BRP before taking the above described route north and already have all our campgrounds and hikes picked out. On the way north I was looking for different places to camp and hike. You've given me that, appreciate it!

3. Re: Camping & Hiking in the Jefferson and Wash Natl Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2013, 09:21