We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UVA Graduation-if you've been before-parking question

Boston
Level Contributor
65 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
UVA Graduation-if you've been before-parking question

If you have attended UVA graduation before- when is a good location to park - any way to avoid the congestion?? Can park at JPJ, or Scott - but they all seem like they would be crazy with cars--

any thoughts, suggestions are welcomed

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UVA Graduation-if you've been before-parking question

Here's the page with all the details on the walk down the lawn: http://www.virginia.edu/majorevents/finals/

For both my graduations from UVA, my parents parked at my apartment and then either walked to the Lawn or took one of the shuttle buses. Not sure where the person you are visiting lives, but I'd explore that option first. At least in my years, the shuttle bus operations from the remote parking lots were fairly efficient, although you'll want to leave lots of time and get down to the lawn early for the best seats (those closest to where the graduates march, rather than closest to the front stage, in my opinion -- you want to see your kid and not the speakers).

All that said, if it were me and I had to park in one of the University lots I'd target getting there really early and parking at Scott Stadium, as it is an easier walk to the Lawn than JPJ and will be closer to most of the diploma ceremonies (if you are going to a Law, Darden, Arch, or Art graduation at one of the buildings on the north side then I'd pick JPJ). I'd pack my sunscreen, lots of water, and my patience and just accept that I'm going to spend a LOT of time sitting in traffic.

2. Re: UVA Graduation-if you've been before-parking question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:17