We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floyd to DC - suggestions welcomed.

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Floyd to DC - suggestions welcomed.

Hello,

In August, we need to complete a one way BRP drive (originally starting in Asheville), travelling from Floyd and arriving in DC, 3 days later.

I'm looking for suggestions on routes with some pros & cons for us to consider as well as 2 places to stop (towns, areas, rather than specific lodging) along the way.

Own intial thoughts have been Charlottesville and Manasas but welcome your ideas

Many thanks,

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floyd to DC - suggestions welcomed.

So I take it you're spending time in Floyd, right? And then heading up?

What are your likes and dislikes?

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Floyd to DC - suggestions welcomed.

You might be tired of BRP driving by the time you get north of Roanoke. If so, you can head east on 460 to pick up 29 North. That will take you right to Charlottesville. It's a pretty drive and usually not too much traffic compared to I-81. Charlottesville is a good stop if you want to tour Monticello, Montpelier, Ash Lawn-Highland and maybe a winery or two.You really need a least one full day or more for Charlottesville if Monticello is on your agenda. If Montpelier is on your agenda, you may want to visit on the morning you leave Charlottesville since it is in the direction you will be heading anyway. Then you could take 15 up through Orange to Culpeper and head east for Mannassas. By mid to late August (around the 20th) Charlottesville will be busy with students moving back in at UVA. I don't know how that impacts lodging availability. I'm sure you'll get more suggestions for routes and towns. You can post back with specific questions as you fine-tune your plan.

Virgniia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floyd to DC - suggestions welcomed.

Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park is also lovely, with lots of great views and short hikes available from parking areas right on the side of the Drive. The northernmost exit from Skyline Drive puts you into Front Royal and you can take I66 to DC from there (with Manasas on the way). If you were to exit Skyline Drive at Thornton Gap, Rte. 211 East takes you by Sperryville, a charming little village with no traffic lights, an organic farm, nice B&Bs, Copper Fox Distillery (makers of Wasmund's Single Malt Whiskey), and The Thornton River Grille. The next town over is Washington Va, home of The Inn at Little Washington and several B&Bs. There are also a number of excellent wineries in the area (Gadino Cellars, Linden Vineyards, Chester Gap Cellars, etc.). Following Rte 211 East will take you to Warrenton, where you can take 29 to Manasas and then 66 to DC.

Disclosure: I live in Sperryville where my wife and I own and operate a B&B.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
331 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floyd to DC - suggestions welcomed.

I live in Charlottesville, and I would recommend maximizing the time you spend in Asheville and D.C., and minimizing stops in places like Floyd and Manasas. (People generally don't talk about visiting Floyd unless its for the music festival, but otherwise I'm not sure its worth a separate stop.) Charlottesville would be a great spot to spend a night, and if you're interested in going to Thomas Jefferson's Monticello estate for the historical tour, and maybe doing some wine and beer tasting, then I say two nights. Driving from Cville to D.C. is just a little over two hours, and Manasas is right on the way, so you could easily stop on your way to D.C. to spend a couple hours to tour the Civil War sites. (Though that would probably mean cutting your BRP trip off at route 64.)

Edited: 30 May 2012, 21:57
Herts, UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Floyd to DC - suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for all the responses which seem to have a common thread. It's been very useful having the TA input and it has helped to shape this the final itinerary which looks like this:

4 nights Asheville

3 nights Blowing Rock

2 nights C'ville

4 nights DC

before the weekend wedding in Baltimore area and then home to UK.

6. Re: Floyd to DC - suggestions welcomed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:16