We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route to Quinby, VA (Eastern Shore) from Central Indiana

Greenwood, Indiana
4 posts
Save Topic
Route to Quinby, VA (Eastern Shore) from Central Indiana

My family and I are planning a trip to Quinby, VA. We are driving from Central Indiana. I am trying to decide if we should approach from the Bay Bridge Tunnel or cut between Baltimore and DC to drive down the Eastern Shore. Mapquest only shows 30 minutes different between the two routes. We have never been in either area. So, maybe arriving and departing we could use different routes. We would love some voice of experience on this topic.

We will be visiting Virginia Beach during our week long stay. So, we will get to experience the Bay Bridge Tunnel for that day trip. Just not sure if we should arrive and depart on that route as well.

Also, we will be staying at a cabin in the Quinby area for about a week. We have two boys ages 6 & 8 and plan to bring our bicycles. Any great trails/paths? It sounds like the terrain is fairly flat which will make bike touring more enjoyable. Any recommendations of don't miss sights on the Eastern Shore or warnings of places to avoid would be greatly appreciated as well.

Mary

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route to Quinby, VA (Eastern Shore) from Central Indiana

Google directions has that "show options" feature that offers "avoid highways". That alternative is pretty straight east to Baltimore area and then out to the Peninsula. It's 5 hours more than the highway alternative. It says. But the tunnel traffic depends on when you hit it.

You might also explore heading east from Indianapolis on 70 on into PA and near Clearville (near Charmbersburg but not that far) head south on 70 to Frederick Md and work you way over to the Peninsula.

OR I just did google maps Indianapolis to Quinby and got a fairly similar route. Check it out:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=greenwood+in&daddr=quinby+va&hl=en&geocode=Fdp0XAId4x3e-impB67J4UJriDHjwfzOHnAfHw%3BFVEGPQIdx2R8-ymLOacf68y7iTFqt3XE-RO6mg&vps=1&sll=38.372925,-80.91926&sspn=12.187004,23.796387&vpsrc=0&t=h&authuser=0&gl=us&dirflg=h&mra=ls&ie=UTF8

Edited: 20 July 2012, 04:47
Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route to Quinby, VA (Eastern Shore) from Central Indiana

Sounds like you have a good trip planned. I think that I would take a circular route, taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at Annapolis, Md.over to the Eestern Shore and returning home via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. While on the Eastern Shore, Visit Chincoteague and the Assiteague Island National Wildlife Refuge (very good for bikes) Take plenty of Mosquito Repellent. Wallops Island Visitors Center may also be interesting. On your day trip to Virginia Beach, Take US 60 south (Shore Dr) After you cross the Bridge Tunnel This will take you into the Virginia Beach Resort Area

3. Re: Route to Quinby, VA (Eastern Shore) from Central Indiana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Virginia