We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlottesville-Chattanooga roadtrip advice???

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Charlottesville-Chattanooga roadtrip advice???

Arrive in DC next week from the UK with our young daughter.

After a few days in DC we are making our way down to Charlottesville to do the usual attractions.

Our dilema startts then...

We have 6 days to fill before our reservations in Chattanooga commencing 7th Nov.

Suggestions for the route?

What shouldn't be missed en route?

Should we detour to Nashville also?

Thak you

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlottesville-Chattanooga roadtrip advice???

One option is to head south on I81. Along the road in Virginia you could stop in Abingdon (Barter Theater, Heartwood, other cultural attractions) or even dip south to Damascus to ride bicycles on the Virginia Creeper Trail. There are outfits in Damascus that provide bicycles and a shuttle service that takes you to Whitetop, Va where it's downhill all the way into Damascus. That would take a morning or an afternoon - goes through gorgeous scenery on a well-maintained trail.

You could head south on I26 into Asheville, NC where there are activities for all tastes and ages. Check out www.romanticasheville.com for ideas. One word of caution - this is prime season for foliage in the mountains, so lodging may be a little tighter than normal.

From Asheville, you can reach Chattanooga by returning to the Interstate or taking Hwy 64. If you do the latter, there are a number of waterfalls along the way as well as lovely mountain towns.

Another option is to swing south off I81 into the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Beautiful scenery and wildlife you and your daughter might enjoy.

Just tossing some ideas out there for you to consider. I can't comment on whether you should detour to Nashville. Haven't visited there myself. Maybe a question on the Tennessee forum would help.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlottesville-Chattanooga roadtrip advice???

Many thanks :-)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlottesville-Chattanooga roadtrip advice???

I would detour to Gatlinburg TN for a day, and perhaps a night. While Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are where all the world's tackiest businesses seem to have cloned themselves, there are some gems. In particular, the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies is one of the best I've seen anywhere and has a neat interactive area for kids. Also, the motor nature trail at the edge of the Great Smokies National Park is a really cool drive if you have a couple hours, with many short hikes to small brooks and cascades that are lovely. If you want to stay the night, the Doubletree hotel there has world class views and a fun pool with water slides for kids.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlottesville-Chattanooga roadtrip advice???

Thank you!

5. Re: Charlottesville-Chattanooga roadtrip advice???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2013, 10:18