We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stopover hotel near 81

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
stopover hotel near 81

Hi.

We are travelling from Montreal to Florida this year and were looking for a stopover in Virginia (roughly 12 hours from Montreal). We will be driving through via the 81. Any advice on where to stop for dinner and a rest? Should we book in advance or just show up. We are travelling with 2 young children (ages 3 abd 1).

Also is there anything worth checking out on the way back to Montreal? Our schedule will be more flexible on the way home.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stopover hotel near 81

12 hours drive time puts you at about Roanoke. Plenty of places to stay there. Staunton, VA is another place. It is about 11 hours drive time.

Places to see on your way back -

Charlottesville, VA east on I64 and Monticello, Thomas Jeffersons home near Charlotteville. THomas Jefferson was the writer of the Declaration of Independence and the 2nd president of the US.

Drive Skyline Drive part of the way. There are 4 access point. Off I64 near Waynesboro, US 33 east of Harrisonburg, east of Luray on route 211, northern terminus at Front Royal. About 3 to 4 hours to take the entire length. At Luray is Luray Caverns. http://luraycaverns.com/

Visit Manassas National Battlefield - site of 2 Civil War Battles.

Take a detour into Washington, DC.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 17:03
Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
386 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stopover hotel near 81

Woodstock is a cute little town with a few interesting dining options as well as decent motels close to 81. I've never stayed there myself, but I've heard that the Hampton Inn in Woodstock is one of the best places to stay for travelers heading through on the 81.

There are lots of wineries in Virginia that might be worth your while if you're into that sort of thing.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 02:16
3. Re: stopover hotel near 81

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 06:17