We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East coast beachs with little ones

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
384 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
East coast beachs with little ones

I love the community on TripAdvisor so I thought i would ask anybody to give me your thoughts on extended weekend probaby early july to virgina beach. I've been there in my early teens and loved it. I'm in wisconsin so could make it in a day and a half i now have a 4 and 5 year old looking for a shorter trip with the kids, my wife and i enjoyed punta cana last year and i thought i could plan this who trip as a surprise , and be cheaper then leaving the country. So my question is do you think virgina beach would be a good destination with the kids? I think i remember not being able to go out very far but the water was warm. Or any other suggestions and lodging advise? Thanks in advance!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

Yes it is a good location for kids . The beaches can be crowded though. I suggest staying anywhere below 16th street that is where most of the entertainment is .. Lots to chose from depending on what you want in a hotel you can do a search here . We always prefer Ocean front .

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
384 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

Thanks thats the kind of info i was looking for. I would prefer ocean front, ill weight the cost. Camping at that state park also seems like a option. In your option how is water temp? I know we will want to jump in a little between playing in the sand. Im trying to compare the cost of doing this rather then a cheap carribean option although i never felt unsave in the carribean i also never had my babys there :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

If you were ranking VB against other EC beaches (OBX, OC, DE beaches, Cape May, Cape Cod) don't think it is the best (either on or off the beach) but it is certainly perfectly fine. It comes down to budget, convenience, etc. Many people enjoy VB, just suggesting that if you are coming all this way, that it is possible to consider other places.

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
384 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

By all means im open to suggestion, i was using virgina as a starting point of my search. Virgina and myrtle are the two i remember by name. I just want to show my family (wife , two young kids) something fun that the states have to offer. I have a few bigger events this year that will put us on a tighter budget. We went camping out west (yellowstone,black hills) two summers ago. Plan on doing upper east coast and niagra soon. I just thought a shorter trip to a beach would be fun in between bigger trips, maybe this will turn into a bigger one :) we have a travel trailer to camping or hotels are both options. I think staying on the water would be pretty nice but not nessasary and with the kids being 4 and 5 its pretty much only going to be pictures for memories. But yeah if anybody has a good sugestion or a must see i would really appreicate it. Thanks again in advance . One the flip side ill answer any questions anybody has on places i know about (wisconsin, black hills, badlands, yellowstone, punta cana) thanks again!!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,053 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

Growing up in Texas, we spent our summers at the beach off the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf water is quite warm and the waves aren't very big. Now that I live in Virginia, we go to Virginia Beach, but I find the water (Atlantic Ocean) at Virginia Beach to be quite chilly, even in summer, and the waves can be rather strong for a 4 or 5 year old child. While your children might enjoy the beach and the playgrounds at Virginia Beach, I don't think they would want to stay in the water too long.

You might want to go over to the Texas forum and see what folks have to say about the beaches at Port Aransas (near Corpus Christi) and at South Padre Island (near Brownsville). That's where all my Texas relatives go for their beach vacations.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 19:30
Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
386 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

I have taken my little ones to VB... but we like to stay just south of the main area. We prefer Sandbridge. We can drive to the aquarium or up to the main Oceanfront area for the action, but we can enjoy a little quieter and slower pace down in Sandbridge. I like getting a condo at The Sanctuary at False Cape so that I can have separate bedrooms and a full kitchen, which saves lots of money on food. Plus I can prepare what I know my kids will like! I think the water is just fine in July and August. A little chilly, but a nice respite from the HOT!

Mentioned in this post
Sandbridge Beach
Sandbridge Beach
1,195 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
384 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

Thanks longhorn, I never even thought of the gulf. quick question for you have you been anywhere else along the gulf coast? I wonder how panama city or near by compares. Going stright south is about the same distance for me as the east coast, but corpus christi is another 5 hours each way. Now my minds really racing :) and this beach talk is really going to help with our high of 5 degrees on friday :)

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Destination Expert
for Hampton, Newport News
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

Would it be mean to say it's supposed to be in the mid-70s today? ;-) But just as we're getting used to it---BAM!--a high of 41 on Friday (which I guess would still be warm for you...).

Anyway, if you do decide on Virginia Beach, July is a neat time to be there, entertainment-wise. The city has a program called Beach Street, USA. They're auditioning performers in February so a calendar isn't available yet, but from their website:

"Sidewalks and street corners are the stage at BeachStreetUSA. Our musicians and novelty acts perform along Atlantic Avenue, the “Main Street” of the Virginia Beach Resort. From 7:30pm-11:00pm an 8-block corridor of BeachStreetUSA transforms into a magical world of its own that is part circus, outdoor music festival, and family fun zone."

Edited: 30 January 2013, 16:58
Mentioned in this post
Beach Street
Beach Street
363 Reviews
Daytona Beach, FL
United States
United States
North America
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,053 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

Cronek, I know my brother took his family to Panama City a few times when his kids were young. Since they made that long drive from Texas more than once, I can only assume that they thought it was a good destination, but I have no personal knowledge of Panama City. I'm sure the folks on the Florida forum would be glad to fill you in.

Mentioned in this post
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Texas
Texas
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
384 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East coast beachs with little ones

Once again thank you guys for everything!!! Lots of great advise as always. The whole beachstreet usa thing sounds fun. Ill be checking into that and sandbride along with other beach options and the gulf. Then do the usual ,mileage, event, cost comparisons. i no doubt will be back with more questions lol. Im already having a hard time not checking into other close by sites but this trip is intended to be kind of low key and short. Just two long driving and a day or two soaking up some sun and letting the kids get there first taste of salt water (which should be hilarious) Our bigger trips are 10 dayish and would include the camper showing the kids our beatiful country!! (while they still want to hang out with mom and dad :)