We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

historical trip

Troy, Ohio, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
historical trip

thinking about a trip through virginia with my husband (no kids) that would encompass williamsburg mt vernon and montecello would fly in and rent a car, ideal itinerary would have us within an hour away from each of these spots where to stay ? where to fly into ?

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: historical trip

Flying from Dayton (DAY) to Richmond, Va (RIC) may give you the most flight and Airline options Richmond is 45 minutes from Williamsburg, 75 minutes from Charlottesville, but about 2 hours away from Mount Vernon and Washington, DC. I would visit Williamsburg (allowijng 3 days to also visit Jamestown and Yorktown) then travel to Mount Vernon (1 day) and then visit Charlottesville ( allow 2 days, visiting Monticello,James Monroe's home Ashlawn-Highlands [just down the road from Monticello] The Rotunda and Lawn at the University of Virginia and any of the Winerys) I would also spend a couple of days visiting Richmond. (The State Capitol, designed by Jefferson, White House of the Confederacy, Virginia Museum of Fine Art Edgar Allen Poe Shrine, Richmond National Battlefield Park. ect,) This route takes you in a circle, actually more like a big Triangle It works if you reverse it.

Of the Airports I have traveled into or out of, Charlottesville (CHO) is the easiest to navigate,but is only served by 3 regional airlines. Richmond (RIC) is the next easiest and served by more than 5 airlines. I have not been to Patrick Henery ( PHF) but it is the Closest to Williamsburg, Washington_Dulles (IAD) can be a little confusing the first time ( does have a direct flight from Dayton) and traffic is heavy. Reagan National(DCA) is my last choice Traffic can be a BEAR!!!!

Hope this may help.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: historical trip

I generally agree with Genville's recommendations in terms of places to visit and lengths of stay, but would rank the airports you should try and fly into as RIC, CHO, and DCA, in that order of preference. Getting from DCA to Mount Vernon is not difficult, and avoids most of the really bad commuter arteries in our region. I wouldn't consider IAD as then you do have to cross some bad traffic routes to get to your other destinations.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: historical trip

Driving from Mount Vernon to DCA may be a straight shot in a direct line, but do NOT try it during weekday rush-hour (especially not in mornings, but to a lesser extent evenings too).

Edited: 23 July 2013, 21:40
4. Re: historical trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:18