We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

average cost of flights from UK

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
average cost of flights from UK

Hey there,

Recently (like 2 days ago)I found out my birth mother passed away and through the details in her obituary, I was able to find and make contact with my 2 brothers who never knew I existed for the past 46 years.

They both live in Virginia, and it has been a whirlwind of a couple days, but we are all beyond delighted to have found each other.. so , I am really hoping to get over soon to visit them in person, but no clue as to when the best time of year to travel is to get a decent airfare, or even what a good fare is.

any advise greatly appreciated, !

I have been seeing cheapest at around £570 (900$- ish) for November time.

My brother says I could always fly in to DC as well, but figured I start closest to home and see what I can find out.

Budget is somewhat limited, but somethings are too important not to do.!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: average cost of flights from UK

$900~sounds pretty good to me. I'm flying early September, and couldn't find anything that low for my dates.

Happy you were able to establish contact with your brothers. Best of luck to all of you!

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
896 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: average cost of flights from UK

I have noticed over the last year that if you are able to get any flight from North America to the UK for under $1000 then you are doing very well. It wasn't so many years ago that I was paying under $500. Anyway, keep checking and use the various websites that compare flights to try and get the best deal but $900 sounds about right. Im going to assume that's for a direct flight closer to Virginia rather than D.C. You might find you could get cheaper if you fly into a major centre [like Washington] and then maybe rent a car and drive south.

You might also want to try asking the same question on the Air Travel Forum, lots of useful info over there and some helpful posters.

Pete

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: average cost of flights from UK

I found flighs from Glasgow to Dulles International Airport ( iad) for under $800.00 us dollars in November, Check flights from Glasgow to IAD ( Dulles International Airport in Fairfax County, Virginia) RIC ( Richmond International Airport in Henrico County, Virginia) and DCA ( all Washington DC area Airports) on the dates that you would like to visit. Sorry about your loss.

Mid week may be cheaper than on the weekend.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 04:40
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: average cost of flights from UK

Thank you all!

Ideally I'd like to fly into Norfolk, but both my brothers have said just get as close as you can DC, NY whatever and they will come get me!

I'll check the other forum out, thanks for the tip!

We are off to Japan in Oct, got the flights for 405£, so about 600 ish usd.. amazing the difference to go so much further!

thanks all!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: average cost of flights from UK

yay, got a great deal on Aerlingus to nyc for 450£, and 2 weeks from today I'll be heading over.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: average cost of flights from UK

I'm glad you found a good deal. A lot of people coming/going to europe do choose to just fly directly from Dulles even if they live in cities with their own airports like Richmond or Norfolk.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: average cost of flights from UK

I fly in and out of ORF quite a bit and usually connect in PHL/EWR/IAD this year I hope to connect in CLT.

If you are departing Dublin, you will have the added bonus of US Preclearance which means you will arrive in JFK as a domestic passenger and save you a ton of time on arrival in the US.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: average cost of flights from UK

Katy-lied, I've not used Aer-lingus for long haul before, how do they rate? What is the pre-clearance process? was a bit worried about my timings as I arrive in at 9:30 am , then my connecting jfk flight is at 10:50.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: average cost of flights from UK

Aer Lingus long haul is a good product (unlike their european services which are more of a low cost carrier).

Pre-Clearance is straight forward - you hand in a customs declaration form, identify your bags on the monitor, Immigration Agent may ask you a few questions about your trip to the US, they will fingerprint and take a scan of your irises. Make sure you have applied for your ESTA online from the official site.

Once you arrive at Dublin, head straight for CBP in Terminal 2. Aer Lingus are very good at calling their passengers in the line if it's coming close to departure. Also note that there will be no duty free sales on board as you have already cleared customs . When you arrive in JFK you go to Baggage Reclaim and then off on your merry way - no security/immigration or customs - enjoy the trip !

10. Re: average cost of flights from UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:15