We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between airports.

Winnipeg, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel between airports.

Please tell me how I can change airports from Washington National Airport (DCA) to Washington Dulles (IAD). I have 9 hours to connect my flights so time is not a problem. But it will be close to midnight. No taxis, maybe bus, train or shuttle. I have a 9 hour layover, so time is not a problem. I will be travelling around midnight. Thanks for your feedback.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
505 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between airports.

Looks like metro from.Washington Nat'l (Ronald Reagan) to Rosslyn Metro station, where you catch metro bus 5A to Dulles.

www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/05a.pdf

www.wmata.com/getting_around/new_metro/

Winnipeg, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between airports.

That's great! Thanks so much.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
505 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between airports.

But it looks like bus 5A doesn't operate around midnight. Maybe someone else can suggest an alternative. Sorry about the less than perfect response :-(

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
505 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between airports.

You might try the Washington Flyer. You indicated "no taxi" but that looks pretty much like the only alternative to me. Washington Flyer cab service runs 24 hrs/ day.

You might want to give them a call.

http://www.washfly.com/Taxi_rate.htm

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between airports.

The buses to Dulles airport won't be running at that hour. A taxi is your best bet.

When you arrive at Reagan National airport, you can just come out and get in the next cab in line to take you to Dulles. If a lot of passengers arrive at once, you may have a short wait for a cab.

Alternatively, you could book your own transportation with a car service.

One option is Reston Limo: http://www.restonlimo.com/

You tell them what time to pick you up and where you want to go, and they will have someone meet you at the airport. You would have to contact them to find out what it would cost. There's an inquiry form on their website. The advantage of this is you'll know you have door-to-door transportation waiting for you, and you'll know the cost in advance.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between airports.

The only way to get from Reagan National Airport to Dulles International Airport at midnight is going to involve at least some travel by taxi or a car service.

You could take an Orange Line Metro subway train from National Airport to one of the stations near the end of the line and then try to take a taxi from there, but I don't know how easy it is to find a taxi at one of these stations after midnight. Your best bets would be West Falls Church station or possibly Vienna station. You'd save a minimum amount of money and incur a maximum amount of hassle.

I suggest just taking a taxi all the way. The cost from National Airport to Dulles should run around $70 plus tip.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 05:56
Winnipeg, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel between airports.

Thanks so much. My plane leaves at 9:00am from Dulles, so I could leave from National early morning.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel between airports.

The day of the week also makes a difference here. If you are traveling Mon-Fri, Metro opens at 5:00 AM. If you wanted to leave National airport early in the morning, you could take the first Yellow line (orange line doesn't go to National) train around 5:10 AM. Change to the Orange line at L'Enfant Plaza and go to West Falls Church, arriving around 5:49 AM. Take the first Washington Flyer bus of the day at 6:15 AM, and get to Dulles airport at 6:40 AM.

Metro's route planner: wmata.com/rider_tools/tripplanner/tripplanne…

Washington Flyer coach schedule, West Falls Church to Dulles Airport: http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm

Unfortunately, if you are traveling on Saturday or Sunday, you are back to having to take a taxi. Metro doesn't open until 7:00 AM on weekends, and that's not early enough to allow you to arrive at Dulles via Metro/bus with enough time to clear through security and get to your flight.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
505 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel between airports.

A bit less changing vehicles than above-

at 5:18 am - board Metro Blue Line toward Largo Town Center. Arrive Rosslyn Metro Station at 5:28 am. Get on 5A bus (at N. Moore St. @ Rosslyn Station) at 5:42 am and arrive at Dulles at 6:22

You can get that with the website lolanthe provided:

wmata.com/rider_tools/…tripplanner.cfm

Plug in depart DCA to IAD after 5:01 am and that's what comes up. (Depends on day of week, though. Weekend adds more challenges.)

I'm not sure what your aversion to a taxi is, but if it were me, I'd bite the bullet, pay the big bucks, and catch a taxi to Dulles as soon as I got out of National. You'd arrive in plenty of time, any traffic delays (maybe snow) or, at 5:30 - start of the workaday commute problems, or TSA delays notwithstanding. I'd rather spend my time in Dulles knowing I'm there in plenty of time for my next flight than worrying about changing trains, buses, etc. and shlepping luggage around.

I vote for taxi.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 21:02
Winnipeg, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel between airports.

Thank you for your reply. Is this for a Saturday morning travel?