We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilmington NC to Va Beach/Williamsburg then Roanoke

Macon, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
Wilmington NC to Va Beach/Williamsburg then Roanoke

We're planning a late February RV road trip that will take us from Wilmington NC to Virginia Beach - our first RV trip - should we stick with the interstate or will we miss out on some good sites and stops closer to the coast? Is there likely to still be a lot of snow on the main roads in February?

Looking for recommendations and cautionary tales regarding RV camps and must-see attractions and dining. We tend towards historic sites and off-the-beaten path attractions. And we also play Ingress and do GeoCaching.

From Williamsburg we're heading back south via Roanoke/Narrows. I seem to remember an RV park on the New River near Narrows?

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilmington NC to Va Beach/Williamsburg then Roanoke

I think that I would take US 17 north from Wilmington to Suffolk, Va Then the the interstate to Virginia Beach. Two places to camp in VA Beach are Holiday travel park ( stayed there and it is very good. ) and the KOA campground. Both are just south of the resort area on General Booth Blvd. You can then take i-264 to I-84 west to get to Williamsburg. I don't know anything about campgrounds in the williamsburg area, other than there are some. I think that there is a Good Sam and a KOA. To ger to Roanoke from Williamsburg, i would take state route 31 across the james river vis ferry at Jamestown, va to state route 10, then sr 10 to sr 40 in Waverly, Va. where you get onto US460 and go all the way to Roanoke. Just a suggestion, check the route out on google earth or mapquest. As far as snow goes, the closer you stay to the coast the less likely you will see snow. Inland , around the mountains its hard to say,

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilmington NC to Va Beach/Williamsburg then Roanoke

There are two KOAs near the York River State Park near Williamsburg, and Chickahominy campground also. jamescitycountyva.gov/recreation/parks/chick…

A correction to Grenville F's directions. It would be I-264 to I-64 West to Williamsburg.

Weather is unpredictable, and we sometimes do get snow in February, but it often is gone in a day or two.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 01:33
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
505 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilmington NC to Va Beach/Williamsburg then Roanoke

From Williamsburg to Roanoke, you could take I 64 west to I 81 south to route 220. Smooth sailing all the way, except perhaps for Afton Mountain on I 64, where chugging up the hill in your RV may be a strain, and where occasionally the fog gets so bad that the road is actually marked with runway lights on the shoulders. Everything being the same, the time for that route is not much different than 460. 460 shorter in miles, but slower per mile. I 81 is heavy with 18 wheelers however.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilmington NC to Va Beach/Williamsburg then Roanoke

There is much, much less traffic on 460 than I-81, and less hills.

But you are aware that Roanoke is over an hour away from Narrows, right?

5. Re: Wilmington NC to Va Beach/Williamsburg then Roanoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:20