We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving trip from Durham, NC - Virginia -Washington DC

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
driving trip from Durham, NC - Virginia -Washington DC

I am looking for all your suggestions

At the end of July, we will go to Duke university to pickup my daughter who will finish summer school over there. Then we will drive up to Washington IAD airport to return home town. total is 6 days.

The first day, we will spend some time at Duke university to visit the campus, and then will head to Charlottesville to visist University of Virginia and Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.

And then probably we will spend a day at Virginia beach, but I am really not sure what to do over there with 17 and 14 years old teenager ladies.

We are also thinking to drive to Beltimore or even other rounding areas to have sight seeing or visit another good university....

I really have no detail plan yet, is looking forward to any inputs.

Thank you

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,183 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving trip from Durham, NC - Virginia -Washington DC

I suggest you post your question on the Washington D.C. forum as well.

RICHMOND
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving trip from Durham, NC - Virginia -Washington DC

Not clear on what you are looking for in college campus, but if you are going from Charlottesville to Virginia Beach, you are almost backtracking from Durham. But, if Virginia Beach is a must on your itenerary, you might consider William and Mary in Williamsburg. If you could do without Virginia Beach, you might consider Georgetown, which would be close to IAD.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving trip from Durham, NC - Virginia -Washington DC

It's going to be about 3 hours from Durham to Charlottesville, then another 3 hours to Va. Beach, then at least 3.5 hours (if you're lucky) from Va. Beach to IAD. If you feel like you can handle that then go ahead but be aware that those locations aren't exactly close.

If you detour to Va. Beach first (still 3 hours) and then travel up 64 to Charlottesville then you at least aren't driving away from IAD (though you're still about 2 hours away).

Baltimore is about 1.5 hours NORTH of IAD and is a fine city but that's a lot of driving between cities.

If you want nice campuses to visit you also have William and Mary like someone mentioned. That's at the same academic caliber as UVA/Duke (alums of all three might choose to disagree;). But Va. has lots of great colleges, Tech, VCU, JMU, GMU (my alma mater), Mary Washington, ODU, CNU, etc. They're all scattered throughout the state so you'd have to pick and choose.

ODU and CNU are also close to Virginia Beach (located in Norfolk and Newport News respectively).

Edited: 13 May 2014, 20:26
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving trip from Durham, NC - Virginia -Washington DC

Starting from Duke, I'd consider a tour of VA colleges from south west to south east:

Radford University, 801 E Main St, Radford, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061

Hollins University, 7916 Williamson Rd, Roanoke, VA 24019

Liberty University, 1971 University Blvd, Lynchburg, VA 24502

Lynchburg College, 1501 Lakeside Dr, Lynchburg, VA 24501

Randolph College, 2500 Rivermont Ave, Lynchburg, VA 24503

Sweet Briar College, 134 Chapel Rd, Sweet Briar, VA 24595

Washington and Lee University, 204 W Washington St, Lexington, VA 24450

Virginia Military Institute, 309 Letcher Ave, Lexington, VA 24450

University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA

University Of Richmond, 28 Westhampton Way, Richmond, VA 23173

College of William & Mary, 540 Landrum Dr, Williamsburg, VA 23185

Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23529

Regent University, 1000 Regent University Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23464

Virginia has a lot of higher education offerings- you should Google them and see which ones appeal to you and to your child.

Many people overlook private universities, but in my experience, they can offer great financial aid packages, a closer relationship with professors and peers, and are worthy of a look.

Yes, I left out lots of other colleges, many more north of I-64 towards NoVa, but since you seem to want to visit Va Beach, these all create a trail of colleges along a route that ends there.

5. Re: driving trip from Durham, NC - Virginia -Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 07:16