We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia- Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown??

Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia- Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown??

My husband and I are going to be in Virginia for 3 days Aug. 17 - 20 this year. We are meeting up with a long time friend of my husband's from the Army in Newport News. He lives there. We would like to visit Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown. I saw online that you can buy tickets to visit all 3 places. How much time would it take to visit all 3? Is it worth going to all 3? I know the friend's wife wants to take us to the plantation, Sherwood Forest. From what I can tell, this seems to be an outside only tour unless you make arrangement in advance for an inside tour with the owners and family of the plantation. I know my husband want to go to Ft Eutis to show me where he was stationed, lived etc., so I figure time for this too. This is very important to him. So this is a for sure place we are going. This seems like a lot to do in 3 days. Any suggestions or advice if this is realistic or if any of these places are not necessary to spend time at? If we do go to all 3 colonies what is the best way to see them? Thanks!

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia- Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown??

Hope that this helps. Jamestown has two attractions, The Colonial National Park which has the site of Jamestown, a visitojs center, early Jamestown, after the fort, a Glass blowing exibit and a museum and Confederate Fort Pocahantas . The Jamestown Settlemant is living history, consisting of an early indian village, a replica of the Jamestown Fort, The Three Ships and a museum. The Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory center can be included on one ticket. The Colional National Park in one fee for both Jamestown (not the Settlement) and Yorktown Battlefield.

Fort Eustis is the home of the Army Transportation Museum, It is an interesting museum taking up to an hour and a half to visit. Sherwood Forest is off of Virginia rt 5 not too far from Jamestown. I'm sure you hosts have planned a good way for you to see alot. They live there. Go , Have Fun. Relax. I'm sure they want to show the area off . You cannot see everything in 3 days, but you can see alot. Have a great trip .

Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia- Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown??

Thanks for your reply Grenville. Which of the Jamestown, or both are worth spending time at? I know we will visit the Army Transportation Museum since my husband was in a transportation company when stationed there in the 80's.

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia- Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown??

Both, actually, The Unique thing about the NaTIONAL PARK area (as stated earlier) is you have history on top of history. Confederate Fort Pochantas is on top of the actual remains of Jamestown Fort There is also a very good museum featuring a couple of bodies recovered at the actual site , which have been forensically re-engineered to show what these persons looked like at the time of their demise; The reconstuected ships are the main attaction to me at the Settlement. Another fun thing to do is to take the Jamestown Fetty from Jamestown to Scotland Wharf and back. It passes by both the Jamestown Settlement and the Nationa Park area , providing a different view from the Jame River.

Virginia
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia- Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown??

The Jamestown Settlement is a recreation of what Jamestown was originally like. It's very popular for school field trips. Historic Jamestowne park is the real original settlement. Both are good but there is a difference. Yorktown is also good but I think the Jamestown sites are more preferable if you're short on time.

5. Re: Virginia- Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 05:17