We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stormy forecast on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Morton Grove...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stormy forecast on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Hello everyone. My husband and I would like to take a short detour along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia on our way to Richmond. We're looking at just a 30 mile stretch from Roanoke VA stopping at the Peaks of Otter visitor center before making our way back to the highway. I'm concered because the weather says 60% chance of storms. Would we be able to see anything scenic if there is a cloudy sky? Are thunderstorms dangerous while driving through that region? It should only be an hour or two drive but I don't want to go out of my way and be disappointed or stuck driving through a torential downpour.

thanks for any advice!

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stormy forecast on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

It's all scenic. So don't skip it. Peaks of Otter is great - and if you have time - go up Sharp Top. If it is a downpour - drive slow. Even if you don't get the 10 mile view - there is plenty to enjoy.

conn
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stormy forecast on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

you should be fine unless its a total fog bank there usually are some views even if its raining.

3. Re: Stormy forecast on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15