We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 50 & 33 into Va

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
707 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Route 50 & 33 into Va

We are coming down from Ohio to Massanutten Va. and the direct fastest mapquest route quotes a bunch of interstates. Fast but not exciting or interesting. An Alternative route has us going down 250 to I77. From there it is ROUTE 50 AND THEN 33 all the way across into Va. It seems to sound more interesting but is it a difficult drive or an interesting alternative

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 50 & 33 into Va

I'm having trouble finding this route. Are you driving 33 all the way across West VA (through Buckhannon and Elkins)? If so, it's pretty, but it's up and down and around and around. Once you get into VA, part of 33 is just 2-lanes.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 50 & 33 into Va

You can do that. Apparently 33 and 50 meet in Athens, OH.

You can pick up Rt 50 in Athens or somewhere and take it to Clarksburg, WV. Nice road and not sterile like an interstate. Take I79 S to Weston. In Weston, pick up Rte 33 going East towards Buckhannon and Elkins. It will take you into Virginia. Parts of it is beautiful and parts of it is crooked. It isn't a challenging drive and very pretty.

The roads in WV tend to be in the valleys with turns that aren't too bad interrupted by some real crooked stretches going up and down the mountains.

I'll have to look at your 250 to I77 route. That one doesn't sound right but might be.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
707 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 50 & 33 into Va

Thx you two, I did leave out the part about I79 which we would travel on for the little stretch down from 50 to 33. I am guessing by the responses that the drive is quite nice and completely doable in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks for all the responses!!!!

4. Re: Route 50 & 33 into Va

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 13:17