We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Advice?

Rotherham
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Advice?

We're over from the UK touring Washington state on a 17 night stay. Any advice on the best places to stay would be much appreciated. Our plan at present is:-

Seattle 3 nights - already booked Pan Pacific

Snoqualmie/North Bend 1 night - can't find anywhere

Leavenworth 3 nights

Ellensberg 3 nights

Mount Ranier area 3 nights

Olympic National Park area 3 nights - Sequim, Port Townsend?

Seatac airport 1 night

We're looking to do some 4 to 6 mile hikes, nothing major, love the outdoors but also want to be within walking distance of one or two places to eat/drink at night.

Advice please

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Advice?

Snoqualmie/North Bend - The fancy place to stay out there is the Salish Lodge, which overlooks the falls.

http://www.salishlodge.com/

Or you can do simply do the Snoqualmie Falls as a day trip from Seattle. The hike to the base of the falls is fun - steep, but not too long.

Leavenworth - 3 nights might be a bit long. One sight I would recommend out that way is the Ohme Gardens. It's a beautiful, hilltop, green oasis in among dry, bare hills, overlooking the Columbia River. The Ohme family started the garden during the Great Depression because they couldn't get a loan to build a house. They never did build the house and the garden grew to 10 acres.

http://www.ohmegardens.com/

Nearby you can tour the Rocky Reach Dam. It has an interested Electricity Museum and its just impressive to see such a wide open indoor space.

http://www.chelanpud.org/visitor-center.html

Ellensburg - Maybe there are Ellensburg defenders out there, but I've never vacationed out that way and would probably skip it.

Olympic National Park - I'd give more of your time from Leavenworth/Ellensburg to the Olympic peninsula.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Advice?

Much depends on when you will be here. I'll assume summer, with its very long days.

I agree with previous poster. Unless you are not telling us something, skip Snoqualmie except as he suggests. Skip Ellensberg. Leavenworth? One night.

Suggestion would be to plan on Mt. Rainier, one night, then to Mt. St. Helens the next day. Head north west to the Olympic Peninsula for Olympic National Park and the rain forests (fascinating with trails). Continue on to Port Angeles, see Hurricane Ridge (wow, with trails). Visit Port Townsend and it's sights. If you wish, take the Pt. Angeles ferry to Victoria for a full day or an overnight. It has more to offer than "a little bit of England". The Pacific NW is truly all beautiful country, including, for the most part, getting to your destinations.

Take Port Townsend Ferry (if operating, some problems with the ferries are being fixed) to Whidbey Island; much to see and to do there.

Little towns are everywhere, so lodging and dining won't be an issue.

Once you have decided a draft itinerary, rather than a list of places to see, we can advise further about the latter.

I'd Google places mentioned so you can determine if they are what interests you. I focused on some of the major, more interesting, areas. Once Googled, you can get an idea of hikes in the National Parks, and others can chime in.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Advice?

BTW, I used to go up to Squam Lake from Boston many summers.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Advice?

I'd leave out Ellensberg and stay 1-2 nights in each of Leavenworth and Mt Rainier. Use the extra time to include the San Juans Islands and the North Cascades around Winthrop/Mazama--you can do a big loop to include those two and take the spectacular North Cascades Highway (Rt. 20) in between.

Rotherham
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Advice?

Bob - thanks for the speedy reply. It's the first time I've given the forum a whirl and didn't expect much of a response.

Voyaging - encore. I guess you picked up my review of Squam Lake Inn. We had a fantastic time there - we love New England, toured there the last 2 years and hope Washington State matches up.

We're being swayed (me and the missus that is) by both of your advice but we're looking at the stopvers as bases to explore the areas rather than just overnight stopovers.

I think we're almost set on extending our stay in Seattle to 4 nights because it's diffcult to know what to leave out and I want to catch a Mariners game if we can.

The Snoqualmie stop was just a Twin Peaks thing so maybe we'll skip the stopover and just call at the diner for coffee on the way through.

Ellensberg is the rodeo weekend - I'm not exactly a cowboy but hey I can manage it for one day. We'd use the rest of the time to hike around Cle Elum aare etc.

Leavenworth - On your advice probably drop this to 3 days and tag 1 onto Olympic Park. We've seen what looks to be a nice B&B 'All Season River Inn' just outside town and would look to explore the area east to Chelan Lake and west on the Cascade loop.

Mount Ranier / Mount St Helen's - 2 nights, struggling to find somewhere to stay - maybe Seasons Motel at Morton.

Olympic Park - 4 nights - perhaps Sequim since we stayed at Squam last year. Kinda sounds appropriate.

We like the outdoors but want options in the evening. We're look for decent accommodation, nothing to fancy but not too basic either.

What do yo think?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Advice?

When are you traveling? That will determine rec's for both lodging and hiking.

As you focus your schedule, I would recommend the Washington Trails Association for hiking info:

http://www.wta.org.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,903 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Advice?

you've gotten lots of advice. I question Ellensburg as a stop but ? who knows. You should go to Roslyn which is east of Ellensburg on 97. Its an old coal mining town with a lots of history. Its where they filmed Northern Exposure for 7 yrs. Since you like Twin Peaks, you may remember this show as well. Make sure to explore the cemetary.

seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Advice?

I agree with most of the previous postings the eastern part of Washington is not much to rave about Ellensburg/ Leavenworth would be disappointing I am married to an Englishman and lived in England as well. Many of our relatives come over and love the islands, the rain forest, and Mt. Rainier Try staying at the lodge Victoria BC is a ferry ride away and you'd love Vancouver Northern Oregon coast is a wild version of Cornwall and Devon Gorgeous

seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Advice?

One more thing!!

I live in issaquah If you'd like to do a great local hike Here it is Head east on I90 visit the Falls in Snoqualmie and then head back toward Seattle to Issaquah head south on Front Street and park at the paragliding field head up to Po Po point from there great 1-2 hour hike easy My English neives burst into the Hills are Alive at the top Beautiful views of Mt rainier and the lke system you can see all the way to seattle try paragliding down They do tandum jumps Finsih off the day with a great steak at Jaks in downtown issaquah

Rotherham
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Advice?

Thanks for all the advice based on which we've amended our itinerary to the following:-

Seattle 4 nights

Winthrop 3 nights

Leavenworth 3 nights

MT Ranier/MT St Helens 2 nights

Olympic Park 4 nights

Travel to airport via North Bend/Snoqualmie

Seatac 1 night

We've decided to skip Ellensberg but are still thinking of staying at the All Seasons River Inn at Leavenworth. It's located in the country outside town and looks really nice but we're unsure.

Any thoughts? Oh and we're struggling for a base in the Mt Ranier area.

Cheers

David