We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle vs Vancouver

Abbotsford...
Level Contributor
35 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle vs Vancouver

Looking for some advice.

In August 08 we are travelling through USA and we have 2 days to spend in either Seattle or Vancouver. I an looking for opinions as to which we should choose.

We are just looking for 2 days of site seeing of the relevant city - not looking for adventure.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

Omigosh, you have re-started the Revolution LOL

I know you posted this on the Vancouver thread as well; it will be fun reading these threads. To be politic, can you spend two days in each? They are both well situated and both offer more beauty than just their "downtown" areas. Perhaps an idea of your interests would help.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,937 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

Depending on your dates in Aug. you could go to a Major League baseball game in Seattle, you cant do that in Vancouver. Sydney native Ryan Rowland-Smith plays for the Mariners.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

You would enjoy either city and not see everything. What decides the issue will probably be the rest of your itinerary. Where are you coming from and going to after? Flying? Driving? You will want to avoid multiple border crossings, so are you proceeding to Canada or the US after this stop?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

think you should post this on Seattle forum as well. I'm a tour guide so work in both countries. Both are very different cities. Since your in the USA I'll use that as a factor to suggest to you to stay in Seattle. Crossing the border and time to cross will eat up a lot of a two day time frame. In Seattle, like Vancouver the downtown area is pretty compact so you won't really need a car. Both great cities but with your limited time I'd stay in the US until you have more time to explore Vancouver.

Abbotsford...
Level Contributor
35 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

Thanks all for prompt replies. Given the various advice in this post (& the one on Vancouver thread), and that the rest of our trip is in USA, we will probably take davidgmg's advice and settle on Settle this time. We will keep Vancouver for "next time" and make it part of a Canada / Alaska trip.

This time we are arriving in SF - then fly to Seattle. then Helena & drive via Billings, Yellowstone, Salt Lake City, then fly New Orleans, Memphis, Chicago, New York & then on to Europe.

To answer question about interests, our travel is basically about seeing new places. We like to see main attractions, see what the locals are like & compare with our usual existence, geographical highlights, cultural offerings (museums, theatres etc), restaurants. We aren't looking for sporting or adventure opportunities (at least on this trip).

Thanks for all advice and any further you think relevant. Finding Tripadvisor & its Forum posters of great assistance.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
156 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

No doubt you will have a super busy schedule. One other destination you should think about is Washington DC.

The Smithsonian Institution is the world's largest museum complex and research organization, composed of 19 museums and 9 research centers. Fabulous collections of many different subjects.

http://www.si.edu/

The following link is to Museum Spot that will show important institutions at each of the important American cities.

http://museumspot.com/cities/

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

If you have the time, I'd visit Glacier National Park, then head to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

If you need any assistance with planning an itinerary please drop me a line. I have been a tour guide all over North and Central America for over 20 years, and know all the places you mention very well indeed. I also can help on things like driving times. I have driven all the areas in the northern tier states as a driver/guide.

I live in Seattle, and would concur with others that you leave wonderful Vancouver for another trip. Crossing the border into Canada can be very time consuming if you are unlucky.

Europe is tearing its international borders down, and we are putting up walls and fences along ours!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

"Europe is tearing its international borders down, and we are putting up walls and fences along ours!"

Perhaps a new administration will have a more positive and constructive view...

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle vs Vancouver

Wow! Short memories:

…nwsource.com/news/…chapter12.html