We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning Seattle

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning Seattle

We'll be in Seattle (Westin, no car) next week for Friday and Saturday morings and will still be on "Florida time." We're normally early risers so I'm anticipating even if we relax, linger over breakfast and so forth we'll still be on the move by 6:30am.

Any ideas on how best to enjoy the early mornings. We could get on a bus if it was worth it, but it would be nice to find someplace within walking distance (say 2 miles) from our hotel where we could spent the "pre-retail" hours.

Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning Seattle

I'd suggest taking a walk down to the Olympic Sculpture Garden.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning Seattle

And on your way, stop and pick up a latte somewhere, and walk through Pike Place Market to watch the vendors arrive and set up.

I love walking a city in the early morning!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning Seattle

Pike Place Market - to watch them setting up for the very busy weekend day. Eat at one of many restaurants, watch it evolve. It's an interesting place, muliple levels and horizontally. You can get your first cuppa at the original Starbucks! Wow.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning Seattle

Thanks for posing the question, Charles. We're flying into SEA ourselves tomorrow, and as we're also on East Coast time, we'll likely be up early Sat. and Sun. a.m. We'll enjoy seeing the Market early (though we'll be returning later for lunchtime sampler tour), and I'd thought the sculpture park might be good for Sunday before picking up our car (and heading to SJI).

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,784 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning Seattle

while not too obvious unless you know there is a walking trail along the water from Pier 70 (at the foot of the sculpture garden to Pier 91 where the cruise ships come in. Its a nice walk if your in the mood.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning Seattle

Thanks guys, something like that would work great, I think. The problem we face is that my 9yo is an alarm clock who is up a 7am . . . period. That means he'll be up at 4am, but being the nice kid he is he'll try and fake-sleep out of courtesy until 4:30 :-).

David, I see that trail now on Google maps, thanks! That will be a good "add on" option we can take from the sculpture park if we're up for it. It looks prety cool. Is there a berm between the path and railroad tracks? You can't tell from outer space. :-)

So, if we're out of the hotel by 5:30 we can walk to the sculpture park along the waterfront (and beyond) and loop back to Pike Place for a 7am breakfast there. It'll be just like that old Army commercial - "We do more before breakfast than most people do all day." After that and some shopping there (will anything be open at 8am) we'll be ready for naps at the hotel, I'm sure!

Maybe Saturday we can do the same type of thing except head over to Pioneer Square (or someplace better?) early before hitting Pike Place?

Thanks for the ideas. I've kind of put-off planning our days in Seattle other than our trip to the REI store!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning Seattle

Charles

go to www.googlearth.com to get the lay of the land and some ideas about what is downtown.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning Seattle

Katzgar, you make me feel like a Luddite. The last time I used Google Earth it was nothing like it is now! I don't think I even need to go to Seattle anymore, just zoom around the 3D buildings.

That is a perfect route-planner for city walking, thanks. And the REI building is there too!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early morning Seattle

yup, its an amazing tool.

Charles? Do you like modern sculpture? Another option is to go down and walk the waterfront/piers south down to Safeco field and back through pioneer square.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,784 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early morning Seattle

also don't forget the buses are free from 7 to 7 if your in the free zone (most of downtown is) so if you get tired just ride back and yes the walk is seperate fom the RR tracks