We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

Wainwright...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

Our trip plans are coming along. We will be heading into Washington from Abbottsford BC. Our first night in Seattle at the Meditteranean Inn, tour space needle, Pike's Place and take in a mariner's game. Next day, on to Portland to the Fairfield Inn - head east to take in the falls, then back to Portland to shop tax free. Next morning, go out to Roloff Farms for a photo op, even if it's just with the sign. Carry on to Forest Grove for daughter to tour the University and continue on to the Coast. Decided on Seaside at the Inn of the Four Winds. Arrive Wed noonish and leave Saturday morning.

Looking for great ideas in those locations other than what we have listed above.

On Saturday, head north. We have decided to travel the west side of the OP as I have two twilight fans and they have just discovered where Forks is on the map. What do we need to see along the trip? We think that is a long enough drive for one day and to take in all the twilight spots, should spend that night in Forks. Forks Motel or Pacific Inn Motel? Where to have supper?

Next day, on to Port Angeles, catch the ferry to Victoria and spend a week on the Island with family.

Looking forward to your replies!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

I personally would not stay in Seaside, it is one of my least favorite places on the Oregon Coast. One long stretch of touristy stuff and tacky in my opinion. What time of year are you talking about, as summer gets harder to get reservations. My brother used to live in Cannon Beach, and although it has changed a lot since those days is a much nicer town then Seaside, although it will have less budget accomadations,if that is what you are looking for. Are you Twilight fans interested more as movie fans or as book fans or both. Most of the film was shot in Oregon including the Gorge and the town of St. Helens. I got tired of reading on a long trip from Europe and saw the movie on my flight. Oh lucky me. The Forks thing can really be done in a couple of hours. You are going to be passing through and near Olympic National Park. That is what Forks is really known for. Lake Quinault

Ruby Beach, and the Hoh Rainforest are all on the way. The Forks Motel and the Pacific Inn are both fine if you want a basic room. I have stayed at the pacific In many times. And Lapush is featured in the book I guess and I think in the movie and that is very close to First Beach and Rialto beach.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

mt st helens is on the way to portland. the kids should enjoy the bumper cars in seaside or you can rent scooters. portland has a lot of micro brews and is a foodie town. there are some great antique shopping districts in portland. astoria is just north of seaside, goonies was filmed there.

Wainwright...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

had a hard time choosing between Seaside and Cannon Beach - came down to wanting the actual old carnival town feel for my kids and wanted accommodations oceanfront. The Inn of the Four Winds had the most fabulous reviews on trip advisor, and although I don't consider myself cheap, upwards of $400 per night in Cannon Beach was not in my budget. We are only 8 miles from Cannon beach so will have lots of time to do both. Considering we are coming from flat land prairie farm country in Alberta, it will be fine for our first trip.

Thanks for the info on the motels in Forks - comes down to choosing between a pool at the Forks Motel or air conditioning at the Pacific Inn - can't decide.

Thanks also for the info on the other areas we should take in - bumper cars and scooters as well will entertain them!

Wainwright...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

I have one child a fan of both and the other a fan of the movies. After the long drive though, is it pushing it to go farther still and stay in the Port or should we settle on Forks?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

At Cannon Beach, north end, entrance to Ecola State Park; truly beautiful, walk to beach and Indian Beach if you like.

I assume you mean not Port, but Port Angeles. The distance is not that much, really depends on time of day and how tired the driver(s) is. I'd not opt to stay in Forks. And I'd like being at the Coho Ferry in Port Angeles immediately the next morning.

BTW, here's a WA state park worth exploring on your way north if you have the time. Beautiful and a very good historical display in the visitor's center.

www.parks.wa.gov/interp/lewisandclarkcenter/

Edited: 19 May 2010, 23:26
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

It really doesn't matter much which hotel in Forks, unless they have a really rare hot day you are not likely to need either the pool or AC. I'd go with the pool, the kids will probably enjoy it. The evenings will be cool, so you can go without the air-conditioning. If you can get out to Rialto Beach at low tide, the tidepools there are full of interesting sea creatures.

The Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center in Ilwaco WA that voyaging mentions is very nice. The North Head Lighthouse is also nearby and open for tours.

If you have not been to Mt. St. Helens, and the day is clear when you head south to Portland, make the 3 hr. RT detour up Hwy 504 to Johnston Ridge Observatory. They have added some new displays and interactive stuff for the 30th Anniversary of the eruption.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 00:50
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

Now that I know your kids like an amusement park atmosphere Seaside is a better choice. Also I understand how expensive a place like Cannon Beach can be for a family. I am assuming you are visiting ins summer with talk of pools and air conditioning. Forks is not useually that hot in the summer so the pool may be more important. I like air conditioning because

it keeps the noise from the outside outside. Forks shuts down pretty early except for an occassional load pickup truck. Eat at the Three Rivers Resort which is non the way to Lapush and Rialto Beach. The kids can eat Twilight Burgers and good shakes. Unfortunately it is about the best food in town. I would stop and drive up the Hoh River Road to the end and at least checkout the Hall of Mosses Loop. This is a special place. Some friends of mine who live nearby say the Hoh is a location in the next book, although they certainly will not be shooting there. There are afternoon and early evening crossings to Victoria so let the kids get their fill of Vampires and Werwolves and leave the next morning for PA. You could go all the way to PA, but it is already going to be a long day

Wainwright...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

Thanks everyone for the great info! The burgers and shakes at Three Rivers Resort sound perfect! I was able to book a room through priceline at Port Angeles and got a great rate - Red Lion - is it decent? Decided even if we drive it at midnight, still be up there for the ferry at noon and everyone can sleep in!

I have printed all your posts to plot the places to see!

Can't wait for August!

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

You are more likely to need jackets than air conditioning in Forks at any time of year.

I would suggest staying in a more interesting spot and just driving by Forks. You'll need half an hour in Forks tops. Consider:

Ocean Crest Resort in Moclips (on the ocean, indoor pool)

Lake Quinault Lodge at Lake Quinault

Kalaloch Lodge

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from Seaside Oregon to Forks, WA

I meant to add...consider a detour to Ilwaco and take in the two lighthouses at Cape Disappointment State Park.