We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive time orcas to seatac

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
drive time orcas to seatac

We will be leaving Orcas Island on a Wednesday in mid August to catch a 2:00 PM flight out of seatac. We will have a rental car. How long would we expect the return trip to take? Thanks!

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive time orcas to seatac

Allow at least 3 hours driving time from Anacortes, plus the ferry crossing time from Orcas Island. It could also take up to 30 minutes to get off the ferry and onto the highway. For a 2 p.m. flight you will need to be at SeaTac by noon.

Driving into Seattle between 7 and 9 a.m. can be very slow. I don't know what time the first morning ferry leaves Orcas, but I would recommend that you take the last evening ferry the day before and spend the night in Anacortes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: drive time orcas to seatac

As above, I'd strongly suggest that you consider coming back to the mainland the night before...IMO taking ferries and catching a plane on the same day do not mix.

If you decide to risk late/cancelled ferries, then be on the first ferry from Orcas to Anacortes in the morning.

Of course most times the ferry will run and be close enough to schedule that you'd be ok, but if they do experience service issues, you'll be stuck. Murphy's Law and all that...

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive time orcas to seatac

I'm so glad I asked. I'l look into staying in Seattle for the extra night. Or is there a place near the airport so I can return the car on time? I have no idea what they'll charge for an extra day. The problem is most things like rental car and hotel accomadations on Orcas have already been booked, everything except for the flight.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive time orcas to seatac

There are many hotels near the SeaTac Airport. All have shuttles to the terminal. Check the TA reviews and look for Seattle hotels near airport, most are on International Blvd.

If you leave Orcas Island the afternoon or evening of the day before your flight, you should be able to drive to the airport by noontime without a problem. You could stay overnight in Anacortes, Burlington, Mt. Vernon, Marysville, any number of places north of Seattle. Coming into the city in the morning, get on the express lanes, then the HOV lanes heading out of Seattle to the airport.

Edited: 28 May 2010, 05:19
5. Re: drive time orcas to seatac

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:18